After Snow at Reynolds Creek Canyon

TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
edited December 16, 2009 in Landscapes
I was so fortunate to have this lighting in the Owyhee mountains after last nights snow storm. When I arrived the skys were overcast, but I was hopeful that the sun would find a few holes in the clouds. I set up and waited 30-40 minutes and then all of a sudden, it was like a light show. Let me know what you think.

742097603_HzrBH-L.jpg

741017027_reAjK-L.jpg

The next photographs are what I was able to capture on the way out.
741024480_S5KQt-L.jpg

741022421_7gdXv-L.jpg

741027611_3bBFX-L.jpg

You can read my photo report in Journey's...I'll have it up later.

Comments

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Spectacular images but the color in the first two is just gorgeous. The white hill sides in the background remind me of waves.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    Nothing better than sweet light on newly fallen snow. Your persistence paid off. Great shots!! thumb.gifthumb

-joel
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Gorgeous light! I agree with Eia that the mountains in the background of the first two shots look like waves.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    These are gorgeous!! Love how the light snow cover contrast with the rock and brings out the details. Thank you for sharing these shoot.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Hey thanks everyone! I appreciate your comments.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Beautiful overall. I'm wondering on the first shot if the snow in the lower center is a little bright. Maybe backing down the exposure a tad might bring a little more detail into that area without losing anything in the rest of the scene.
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Trey,

I really like the last three images with the softer light. #3 and #5 do a really great job of portraying that area. Were the first two pictures taken above Reynolds Creek looking towards the Snake River?...You're right, that is some pretty good light and it goes well with the snow. Nice setthumb.gif
    edited December 15, 2009
    acowan wrote:
    Trey,

I really like the last three images with the softer light. #3 and #5 do a really great job of portraying that area. Were the first two pictures taken above Reynolds Creek looking towards the Snake River?...You're right, that is some pretty good light and it goes well with the snow. Nice setthumb.gif

Hey Aaron,

Yep...looking toward the Snake River. This was my third time up there....the last two attempts didn't yield anything good. I did some hiking a couple weeks earlier at the base of the mountains (shaded area) but it was a little to late in the day, so I found this spot instead.
    edited December 15, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful overall. I'm wondering on the first shot if the snow in the lower center is a little bright. Maybe backing down the exposure a tad might bring a little more detail into that area without losing anything in the rest of the scene.

You're right...that area is somewhat blown out. Have not used PSE yet, so I though I would give it a try. Here is the photo with a bit of dodging over the blown out area. Better?

742097603_HzrBH-L.jpg
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    TreyHoff wrote:
    You're right...that area is somewhat blown out. Have not used PSE yet, so I though I would give it a try. Here is the photo with a bit of dodging over the blown out area. Better?

I think that does help. My eye isn't drawn instantly to the bright center area but is allowed to wander a little more.