Long Exposure

Slinky0390Slinky0390 Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
edited December 20, 2009 in Technique
I was wondering if anyone had done this before. Im doing a promotional shoot for a DJ and I'm basically having him stand in the median of a busy highway at night and doing a long exposure as to get the light trails from the cars flying past him. We did a test shoot and it is impossible to stay still for more than 10 seconds. I could always flash him with my flash and have him step out of the shot but I want to avoid the use of a flash on a highway. Any tips?
Canon eos 30d; EF 17-40 f/4.0L; EF 24-85mm f/3.5; EF 50mm f/1.4; EF 70-200mm f/4.0L; Unicorns of various horn lenghts
http://slinky0390.smugmug.com

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Assuming you don't want to flash on-coming cars, how about making two exposures ....
    1. Flash your model when there are no on-coming cars then get him/her out of the frame

2. Second exposure, a long one, to get the car trails
    Now, blend them in Photoshop (or other tool of your choice).
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Scotts idea is probable the best.

You could also bulb the shot and than at the end have the dj get in position and fire a flash, it will take some practice to determine the fash power. I would start a 1/4 and work around that. Do it when the highway is clear as not to distract anyone. Even the parkway has dead spots of trafic.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • zypherzypher Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    what about 2nd curtain sync with flash?..
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 20, 2009
    2nd curtain synch works for me too.

Ff they can use an exposure shorter than 10 - 20 sec. It may be hard for the subject to hold still enough if the exposure is longer than that, but most of any motion will be hidden by the 2nd curtain flash exposure.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin