Print small on large paper? IE with large borders on all sides?

wellseenwellseen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited December 16, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi,

I'd love to know how to print an image smaller than the size of the paper, so that large white borders are left on ALL sides. Is this possible, short of adding borders in photoshop? Thanks!

Comments

• thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    why not print the size you want the image to be (8x10 for example) and use a matte with your frame? then you can customize how large you want the matte to be without compromising your print...my $0.02...
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    wellseen wrote:
    Hi,

I'd love to know how to print an image smaller than the size of the paper, so that large white borders are left on ALL sides. Is this possible, short of adding borders in photoshop? Thanks!
    Do you want to know if this is possible when ordering from a SmugMug account? Or do you want to print this yourself? or somewhere else? Are you looking for fixed width border? or something variable?
  • wellseenwellseen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    Do you want to know if this is possible when ordering from a SmugMug account? Or do you want to print this yourself? or somewhere else? Are you looking for fixed width border? or something variable?

Yes, I want to order prints from Smugmug, with a large border so that none of the image touches the edge of the paper. Ideally I'd be able to set the size of the border as a %
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    wellseen wrote:
    Yes, I want to order prints from Smugmug, with a large border so that none of the image touches the edge of the paper. Ideally I'd be able to set the size of the border as a %

Hi

All of our prints are borderless, so you will need to add this before upload.

Adding a border in Photoshop can be as straight forward as increasing your canvas size. Of course, you can also get fancy and add drop shadows into the mix, for a three dimensional effect.

ann
  • wellseenwellseen Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Thanks, but I'm not looking for any special effect, but simply to print an image that doesn't go all the way to the edge of the paper, just as any art printer would do. This is necessary for matting or display as-is. Of course I can add borders in photoshop, but this takes a lot of time when dealing with thousands of images, and I'd like to be able to turn it off and on as needed. Is this a feature that could be added, if there's not already a way to do it? And if there is, do tell! Thanks
  • thaKingthaKing Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    two things:
    1. in photoshop you can have this added as an action, and then run the action against the photos that need it (whether it's 2 or 200)...PS will do all the work for you...depending on your systems power, it should not take too long to complete the photos...
    2. if you're going to do this, then be aware that any cropping (5x7 for example) will crop the border you added...that's why i think it's easier to display with a matte rather than adding an artificial matte...especially if cropping is involved...