incoming tide

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited December 16, 2009 in Landscapes
Went out to Big Talbot Island last evening and after the sun went down the light was a bit drab so I shot some long exposures of the tide coming in over the driftwood. I thought this worked for B&W because it was contrasty and somewhat abstract. any thoughts?

741724563_GXurt-L.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 15, 2009
    It's kinda creepy looking--in a good way. It's got interesting shadow detail in the foreground and what looks to be obscured branches as well.

I think it's a cool shot.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • toddliotoddlio Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    I like it
    I like it, The shape and contrast lends itself the b&w and it creates a mood that really works
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Hi Chris, I really like this one. If you crop out the top portion so that you just see the 'ghost' driftwood it is very spooky.

Cheers, Richard
  • RidgetopRidgetop Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Very spooky. That one piece of driftwood looks like a snake head popping out of the mist.
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    R.Jay wrote:
    Hi Chris, I really like this one. If you crop out the top portion so that you just see the 'ghost' driftwood it is very spooky.

Cheers, Richard

Thanks. I had the same thought at first and experimented with some different crops but in the end I felt that the upper portion gave the photo depth that it wouldn't otherwise have had. thanks for the suggestions!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    I like it a lot, Chris. I think the BW choice was spot on!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Great mood and the BW and perfect. How long was this exposure? Looks like at least 30 sec.
    edited December 16, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Great mood and the BW and perfect. How long was this exposure? Looks like at least 30 sec.

Thank you. The exposure was 30sec at f/11, I believe. I may go back later this week and try some longer (1 or 2 min) exposures. The tide was already knee high and rising fast so I had to pack up and leave.
  • Picture North CarolinaPicture North Carolina Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    I like it too. Nice shot. Normally, when doing the long exposures, the water is more opaque than this. This is "misty" and has depth. Good work.

SmugMug Gallery | Website | Like my Facebook page, I'll like yours
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Way to go making the best of lousy conditions.

I really like the fg on this one. Processing is excellent.

As my eye looks towards the distance the photo kind of falls off. There isn't much there - either as a point of interest or as a kind of border to bring one's eye back into the image.

I'm not sure what you could have done differently. Maybe a little vignetting on the top?
    edited December 16, 2009
    SteveF wrote:
    Way to go making the best of lousy conditions.

I really like the fg on this one. Processing is excellent.

As my eye looks towards the distance the photo kind of falls off. There isn't much there - either as a point of interest or as a kind of border to bring one's eye back into the image.

I'm not sure what you could have done differently. Maybe a little vignetting on the top?

That's a good observation. I cropped this way to hopefully give some depth with the driftwood visible in the background but I see what you mean. I did vignette but the sky was so blah its hard to tell at the top. I'll play around with some heavier vignetting and see how it looks.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    i like this a lot. reminds me a bit of Mordor, kinda creepy and eerie, but very compelling. print it and frame it!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com