A Venetian glass clock

spinfirespinfire Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited December 16, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
740343279_Vr6TR-X2.jpg
Canon Digital Rebel XTi
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Canon EF-S 10-22 f/3.5-4.5.
Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Custom Brackets Flash Bracket. 2x AlienBees AB800, ABR800.
http://spinfire.smugmug.com/

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    This is a nice idea that would benefit from a little more even lighting.The center portion is somewhat blown out....reflected mostly in the background material. I like your subject and your basic approach. I think the word is " venetian ".
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • spinfirespinfire Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    This is a nice idea that would benefit from a little more even lighting.The center portion is somewhat blown out....reflected mostly in the background material. I like your subject and your basic approach. I think the word is " venetian ".

Yes, you're right about the typo. Unfortunately I cannot edit the thread title.

I don't believe any portions of this image were blown out, as in whites clipped. Maybe the contrast is too high, either due to post processing or just the lighting?

The light is a single AB800 at 1/2 power with reflector and 10° honeycomb grid, angled sharply at camera left. I took the shot to play with the honeycomb grid, which is new.
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Canon Speedlite 580EX II, Custom Brackets Flash Bracket. 2x AlienBees AB800, ABR800.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 16, 2009
    spinfire wrote:
    Yes, you're right about the typo. Unfortunately I cannot edit the thread title.

I don't believe any portions of this image were blown out, as in whites clipped. Maybe the contrast is too high, either due to post processing or just the lighting?

The light is a single AB800 at 1/2 power with reflector and 10° honeycomb grid, angled sharply at camera left. I took the shot to play with the honeycomb grid, which is new.

I fixed the title for you. thumb.gif

This is a cool idea, but I agree with Tom that the uneven lighting is a problem. I'm not even a n00b when it comes to strobes, but I think you need a little light coming from the right so that the right side of the clock is not so dark. I suppose that will make it harder to get the colored shadows as clear as you got them, but maybe one of the lighting gurus will pitch in with a solution. If you're lucky, it will mean buying more gear. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • spinfirespinfire Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I fixed the title for you. thumb.gif

This is a cool idea, but I agree with Tom that the uneven lighting is a problem. I'm not even a n00b when it comes to strobes, but I think you need a little light coming from the right so that the right side of the clock is not so dark. I suppose that will make it harder to get the colored shadows as clear as you got them, but maybe one of the lighting gurus will pitch in with a solution. If you're lucky, it will mean buying more gear. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Thanks for fixing the title.

I would welcome some advice on bringing a bit more light onto the face without blowing out the colored shadows. My instinct would be to place a lower power fill at camera right, but I figured that would blow out the shadow and reduce the dramatic look too much.

I'll experiment with reshooting it when I get a chance, since I really like the concept.
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 16, 2009
    spinfire wrote:
    I'll experiment with reshooting it when I get a chance, since I really like the concept.

Since it's a stationary object with straight edges, if you can't come up with the right lighting combination you could always do separate exposures for the face and the shadows, then combine them easily in post. Just a suggestion.