Another day at Jump Creek

acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited December 16, 2009 in Landscapes
I went out yesterday for a shorter day of hiking around Jump Creek Canyon. This time, the waterfall was completely iced over and there was about two inches of snow of the ground which made for some good pictures. (I chose not to take any more pictures of the waterfall since it was just a big block of ice.) Four of the these pictures (two pairs) are taken in both landscape and portrait orientation. I'd like to hear some opinions as to which framing you prefer. Initially I like the landscape on both but, of pictures #1 and #2, I prefer #1 because of the small (aggravating to myself) bit of flare in the frame.

1. Here's a side view of the canyon above the waterfall. I really like the warmer colors in the foreground along with the cool colors of the background.
741841595_J6apF-L-1.jpg

2. This is the same area but with landscape orientation. I was unaware and the time but towards the top right of the frame you can see a bit of lens flare. I had the hood on but I didn't add additional shade with my hand because I didn't notice the flare at the time...oh well...
741841928_pnaDx-L-1.jpg

3. The creek was completely frozen over with the exception of some small areas like this. The round icicles caught my eye.
741842025_Z3fVx-L-1.jpg

4. This shot was taken around 4:00pm so the light was streaming through the canyon. I was setup on the ice of the creek taking this photo.
741842221_oY5BT-L-1.jpg

5. Again, the same photo as before just with a different orientation.
741842430_rkR56-L-1.jpg

Comments

• TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    The slight bit of flare doesn't bother me, but I prefer the vertical and tighter crop of No. 1...it holds my attention better. No. 4 is my choice for the creek....I like sunlight on the snowy creek bed. Nice!