Options

Weekly Discussion Thread: How do you stay above water during the dry winter months?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    • Are you a fulltime photographer?
    Well... kinda... not really I guess... I used to work a few days a week at a photo lab, I'm currently talking to them about working there again (moved to Indiana for school but am transferring back to Wisconsin). Right now photography is my only paying gig.

• Do you own a studio?
    yes and no... I have space in my parent's basement where I can do some studio work. But It got taken over by workout equipment :cry - hoping to rent my own space as soon as I can afford it. But, $500+ a month for a decent sized building is pretty high with no steady income...

• Do you offer any shoots during the winter months, or do you get ready for the next season?
    Yes, I just had an engagement shoot this week, and I have another e-shoot on the 2nd of January. I have a couple senior sessions, and one commercial shoot coming up as well. But, mainly I'm trying to market myself by asking everyone if they need a photographer and handing out my business cards... And I'm also using this downtime to work on my website, pricing, and contracts.
    Jer
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    cdonovan wrote:
    Be sure to use your big lens when you go shooting horses, compression is HUGE, otherwise the people look great, horses look wonky!

Oh, that's true, didn't really think that far thumb.gif

Did you actually ever have a chance to combine both and have a shoot with a bride on the horse? That would be pretty .... I'll need to see if I can persuade one of my friends (who owns a horse) to do a shoot .... :D
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    entropy07 wrote:
    This year I've been networking with a ton of non-photography vendors and I'm doing a collaboration shoot or two ...

That's SUCH a good idea Shang clap.gif What sort of vendors did you contact & how did you go about it? I know you did a collaboration with a florist .... (the pics are awesome btw!!) thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    ... But, mainly I'm trying to market myself by asking everyone if they need a photographer and handing out my business cards... And I'm also using this downtime to work on my website, pricing, and contracts.

Leaving some nice 4x6 cards (that explain / show what you do) in some local stores always helps too ... thumb.gif
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Leaving some nice 4x6 cards (that explain / show what you do) in some local stores always helps too ... thumb.gif

Good idea! Thanks!
    Jer
  • Options
    TNTATCTNTATC Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I am a full time Air Traffic Controller, also a professional pilot. I keep busy year round haha during winter months I work with realitors for aerial shots of homes and do little family shots for extra cash.
    No studio, not a fan of lights. (bc i'm not good at it)

Any young guns looking for a great job with lots of time on the side to spend 100% of your energy on your hobbies and loves. Check out ATC

Cut off age for FAA is 31
  • Options
    philx123philx123 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I give away free shots. There's a bunch of people I run onto, sometimes it's friends of my daughter's, or people I know from the coffeeshop I frequent. I take their picture, post it on my site, do them a print, with the knowledge that, if it's their kid, they'll put it on the wall, and hopefully someone will say, ooo, I like that. Where did you get it done?
    It's worked quite a few times.
  • Options
    entropy07entropy07 Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    That's SUCH a good idea Shang clap.gif What sort of vendors did you contact & how did you go about it? I know you did a collaboration with a florist .... (the pics are awesome btw!!) thumb.gif

Mainly florists and makeup artists and anyone else looking to get more exposure to brides - while still creating great photographs! For example it wouldn't make as much sense for me to photograph a venue if they don't have anything planned. Also, I love working with florists and MUAs because they make my models look GOOD! haha.

Here's a recent shot

743757654_6rV23-L.jpg
    Nikon D700, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 24-70mm f/2.8, 60mm f/2.8, SB-900
    Site
    Blog
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    • Are you a fulltime photographer?
    ---nope, winter time is my relaxation time when I don't have to worry about losing all my weekends to weddings, it's nice! :) (I'm a network engineer for my regular job for those curious)

• Do you own a studio?
    ---nope and no plans to anytime in the near future, my regular job keeps me really busy and I think having a studio would over complicate life by adding too much extra time to my already jam packed schedule

• Do you offer any shoots during the winter months, or do you get ready for the next season?
    ---mostly I just relax and get ready for the next season, the biggest pay gig I do each winter is that I do school portraits for all the students at the martial arts school I work out at... we set up some sheets and take fun poses, then I go home and get rid of the backgrounds and make them super cool looking... it's always a big hit, and the parents love it as I make sure the prints are in their hands before Christmas
    Other than that, I pick up a few family and senior sessions here and there, the rest of my winter photo time is just for fun at my family events like Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years! :)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    To some of the business owners and workers I patronize I gave out a few GIFT CERTIFICATES for a free sitting.....certificate actually said all prints and digital downloads could be seen and purchased from a private gallery...............each was personalized with the recipents name on it and Merry Christmas plus a $ amount to show its worth for what they were receiving.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website