Step and Repeat

BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Technique
Hey all. I just booked a step and repeat photo shoot for a gala event in Feb. Oddly enough for a step and repeat, I will be the only photographer there (so I can use more than an on camera flash!!:clap ). It is a local arts/theater promotion company and I feel they want to offer a 'red carpet' experience.

Here are my questions.

1-Since I am the only photographer, I have the option of using some fun lighting setups. I have 3 160W photogenic strobes + 2 umbrellas/stands + 1 large softbox + 2 SB600s. I will have my area roped off at the entrance to the event so I shouldnt have to worry about any of the lights being knocked over or being in the way. I am thinking of using the softbox as my main light with possibly one or two of my other strobes. How would you set these up? Ease of use is a must since I will only have seconds in some situations to get a decent shot.

2-Part of the step and repeat is design since they do not currently have one. I have a stand for a backdrop. I do not have a custom step and repeat vinyl backdrop. Where do you recommend getting this? Their budget is low. the $500 step and repeats I have seen will not cut it. Add their logo in post???

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

Comments

• Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Bsimon wrote:
    Hey all. I just booked a step and repeat photo shoot for a gala event in Feb. Oddly enough for a step and repeat, I will be the only photographer there (so I can use more than an on camera flash!!clap.gif ). It is a local arts/theater promotion company and I feel they want to offer a 'red carpet' experience.

Here are my questions.

1-Since I am the only photographer, I have the option of using some fun lighting setups. I have 3 160W photogenic strobes + 2 umbrellas/stands + 1 large softbox + 2 SB600s. I will have my area roped off at the entrance to the event so I shouldnt have to worry about any of the lights being knocked over or being in the way. I am thinking of using the softbox as my main light with possibly one or two of my other strobes. How would you set these up? Ease of use is a must since I will only have seconds in some situations to get a decent shot.

2-Part of the step and repeat is design since they do not currently have one. I have a stand for a backdrop. I do not have a custom step and repeat vinyl backdrop. Where do you recommend getting this? Their budget is low. the $500 step and repeats I have seen will not cut it. Add their logo in post???

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

One option is to use a green screen for the backdrop for the shoot, and add your custom backdrop in PP, or after you have designed one, take it to one of those places that make the big signs that business's hang out in front of their stores, and have one made. That is what a friend of mine does for backdrops for his Elvis shows. He just sends them a digital file of what he wants, and they create the backdrop to his size specifications. But those can get pretty expensive, but then again, they can be used over and over if they're well made.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Gary, Thanks for your input!

Any ideas on lighting? Im thinking my softbox + some fill would work fine for this purpose. ne_nau.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    ~raises hand~

n00b question: google has failed me, and i can't find a definition other than a graphic-design technique for cloning. What is a "step and repeat"?

/n00b question
  • BsimonBsimon Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Hey Divamum!

Step and repeat is the area where a backdrop is laden with sponsors etc and VIPS get their pics taken in front of it before entering events.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I've moved this to a more appropriate forum thumb.gif