Youth Volleyball Portraits

Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in People
I was asked to shoot a couple of youth volleyball teams recently. I was a bit worried about the lighting but I think I did okay. I used one off camera and should have used two...my bad. The green team was much easier to shoot than the red team.

C&C always greatly appreciated.

1. The assistant coach. This is the crop that his mom chose.
741251874_AHWSH-M-1.jpg

741251104_Ja9EX-M-1.jpg

3. I saw the judge's stand off to the side and had a vision. Unfortunately, I lost poor little Walker on top in this one (in more ways than one). I can't believe I didn't throw a second stand in my car. :dunno This is the pre-cropped for a print version.
741250694_AM7F6-M-1.jpg

Comments

• crazy7photographycrazy7photography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Lights lights lights. You need to have at least two lights. and not just the off the camera light. if you do use some sort of diffuser as a umbrella with your flash it would diffuse the blown out look on the subject. I know gym lighting is the worst and hard to control. but by adding your own light you can have complete control over it.
    deal.gif
    Canon 5D Mark II, 7D, 70-200mm IS 2.8, 28-70mm 2.8, 15mm Fish eye. etc...
    Alien Bees Strobes

Crazy Seven Photography
    www.crazysevenphotography.com
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    You can pull it off with only one strobe, if you use an umbrella. I did these basketball portraits like that. They're not perfect but I'm pleased with them:

jslgud.jpg

Notice how soft the front row's shadows are compared to how sharp yours are. For the individual, I'd move them far away from any background to eliminate shadows and reflections. The flash reflecting off that net tape is distracting. Also your flash level looks too hot. I had good luck with FEC -1/3, and again with an ubrella:

a0umxi.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    In general I think you did good thumb.gif I think the lighting isn't bad, but could use some improvement. Especially on the group shot; it's very uneven and there are some distracting shadows. Practice practice practice. Gyms are horrible, it's just the way it is.

I'm not too crazy about the stand in the middle of the group shot. It's a bit too distracting I think. Did you try a horizontal/landscape oriented group shot also? i think that's probably easier to do in this case. You could use a bench, or some cases/boxes of some sort to get some height-difference without them being in the shot.

You did great with the expressions; Especially on groups shots it's hard to get them all thumb.gif
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Lights lights lights. You need to have at least two lights. and not just the off the camera light. if you do use some sort of diffuser as a umbrella with your flash it would diffuse the blown out look on the subject. I know gym lighting is the worst and hard to control. but by adding your own light you can have complete control over it.
    Thanks for your response. I did start out with an umbrella (red team). I can't even remember why I removed itne_nau.gif ...oh yeah, I'm an idiot. Seriously, I should have brought more light. Guess I wasn't thinking that night.
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    You can pull it off with only one strobe, if you use an umbrella. I did these basketball portraits like that. They're not perfect but I'm pleased with them.
    Notice how soft the front row's shadows are compared to how sharp yours are. For the individual, I'd move them far away from any background to eliminate shadows and reflections. The flash reflecting off that net tape is distracting. Also your flash level looks too hot. I had good luck with FEC -1/3, and again with an ubrella.

Thank you so much for your input. I learn best when things are not just pointed out to me. I want to be given advice on a better way to accomplish better photos. I did realize that the net was going to be distracting. Unfortunately, I was limited in space. The gym had to accomadate several practices that night and I had a lot of stuff behind me. I was hoping that they wouldn't want the net in the photo at all. Oh well, live and learn...I do a lot of that. My bad on the flash. Once I removed the umbrella I didn't do a proper reset.
    edited December 17, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    In general I think you did good thumb.gif I think the lighting isn't bad, but could use some improvement. Especially on the group shot; it's very uneven and there are some distracting shadows. Practice practice practice. Gyms are horrible, it's just the way it is.

I'm not too crazy about the stand in the middle of the group shot. It's a bit too distracting I think. Did you try a horizontal/landscape oriented group shot also? i think that's probably easier to do in this case. You could use a bench, or some cases/boxes of some sort to get some height-difference without them being in the shot.

You did great with the expressions; Especially on groups shots it's hard to get them all thumb.gif

Thank you for letting me know the good and the "bad". I appreciate it. I did take a horizontal of the teams. One team looked better than the other. headscratch.gif As for your advice...I am going to practice practice practice. I have access to the gym where we live and they are more than happy to let me use it when no one is practicing. Wish me luck with the wonderful gym lighting.