Problems with Canon 5D Mark ii

photochaosphotochaos Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited December 19, 2009 in Cameras
Today I photographed a basketball game and experienced image quality problems that I had never experienced before. I searched the web for possible problems with the 5D ii and didn't find anything close to what I experienced, so I thought perhaps you could help me out determining what is going on.

Here are three images representatives of the two main problems:
(1) Within the same image (e.g., image 1), one side would look darker or more tinted than the other. The lighting of the gym did not seem to cause the problem. In fact, taking the photo again 1/4 of a second later might get rid of the unevenness, which lead us to the second problem...
(2) Two consecutive images (e.g., images 2 and 3) may exhibit significantly different lighting and tint, even though I was shooting manual (same aperture and shutter speed in both images), and the two images were taken within about 1/4 of a second of each other. Notice how the darkness/lightness shifts positions in images 2 and 3, from top to bottom and bottom to top.

Any ideas on what might be causing this problem? I hope I'm just doing something stupid and easy to solve, and that there are no problems in the hardware! In case it matters, I was shooting at 1600 ISO, f/2.8, 1/320 second.

Thank you!

Marcelo

Image 1:
742161324_t2cRN-M.jpg

Image 2:
742161497_sndA7-M.jpg

Image 3:
742161612_KFe7i-M.jpg

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    It's not the camera; you're shooting in a gym with cycling lights and at a shutter speed that's fast enough to catch the various shades.

This was recently discussed in this thread

I've posted this a few times before, but I still think this burst sequence illustrates the point quite well
    363752181_pSgui-Th.jpg363752673_88Yho-Th.jpg363753666_FqhGv-Th.jpg363754138_TmuQ6-Th.jpg363754660_gjkRv-Th.jpg363756740_Hobaw-Th.jpg

I tend to CWB to one of the cycles because it leaves me with less frames to adjust in post.

And welcome to dgrin wave.gif
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    I thought they fixed the black dot issue with the 5D2. rolleyes1.gif
  • photochaosphotochaos Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    aktse wrote:
    It's not the camera; you're shooting in a gym with cycling lights and at a shutter speed that's fast enough to catch the various shades.

Thank you so much for your response! I'm glad it was just my inexperience shooting indoor sports, and not something wrong with the camera. Thank you for the advice on shutter speed and CWB! I'll experiment in the next basketball game my daughter will be playing.

Marcelo
  • photochaosphotochaos Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    insanefred wrote:
    I thought they fixed the black dot issue with the 5D2. rolleyes1.gif
    Good one! bowdown.gif
  • GrimisGrimis Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Sodium filled bulbs along with some other long hours bulbs produce the uneven light some will not get hot enough and some cycle while they are on and it probuces that look. They don't stay a certain color or temp. You're good it's not the camera.
    You're Only Limited by your Imagination :scratch