Shichi-Go-San Photos

bakahagebakahage Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited December 17, 2009 in People
Took some photos recently for my daughter's shichi-go-san blessing (short explanation of what this is at the bottom) recently. These ones are from a pre-blessing trip to a local garden:

733101364_aYTih-L.jpg

735232147_YUzJ6-L.jpg

735232025_eD8HS-L.jpg

735231944_db2hJ-L.jpg

733101552_iBB9Y-L.jpg

733103101_Pxjzw-L.jpg

733103172_m4n4j-L.jpg

Shichi-Go-San (7-5-3) is a Japanese festival that started in the Heian period amongst the rich/court nobles to celebrate the passage of their children into middle childhood. The ages three, five and seven are considered lucky numbers and over time the festival came to be observed on, or around, the 15th of November.

The tradition has changed little since the Meiji period and boys who are aged three or five and girls who are aged three or seven are dressed in kimono (usually for the first time at age 3) for visits to shrines for blessings from the priests in their area.

More recently, this a photo opportunity for parents to take pictures of their children - or have them taken.

Comments

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Your daughter is so precious!!! Number one sweeps me off my feet. The back lit hair the expression on her face is priceless. Others are nice too but do not have the same feel as the first one.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • bakahagebakahage Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Thanks. That is my favorite as well. I think it captured the emotion of the event and her personality well...
    rhondavid wrote:
    Your daughter is so precious!!! Number one sweeps me off my feet. The back lit hair the expression on her face is priceless. Others are nice too but do not have the same feel as the first one.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Very nice tradition, and I agree that the first one is just wonderful.
    Thanks for the background -- I learned something new today (and it is still early).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Very nice thumb.gif and congratulations (?)

Agree with the above about the favorite :D