Compost Bin Lid Critters

Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Holy Macro
Took a couple of photos of the insects that are around the compost bin this afternoon.

First up is a midge of some sort - it is actually shown the way it was found - i.e. on the underside of the rim of the lid of the compost bin.

Second is what I assume is a fruit fly - about 2mm in length, and these are white flies which are plentiful around the compost bin, but they are particularly skittish and tend to be mobile almost all the time, making getting one up close quite difficult - I used 3 extension tubes to get this close and it is still a large crop.

800midge1.jpg

whitefly2.jpg

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

Comments

• canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Paul Iddon wrote:
    Took a couple of photos of the insects that are around the compost bin this afternoon.

First up is a midge of some sort - it is actually shown the way it was found - i.e. on the underside of the rim of the lid of the compost bin.

Second is what I assume is a fruit fly - about 2mm in length, and these are white flies which are plentiful around the compost bin, but they are particularly skittish and tend to be mobile almost all the time, making getting one up close quite difficult - I used 3 extension tubes to get this close and it is still a large crop.

800midge1.jpg

whitefly2.jpg

Paul.
    Great shots Paul wll done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Good captures paul.
    #1 is a window gnat and #2 a moth fly (drain fly).
    Not seen many window gnats here- often see them throughout the winter.

Brian V.
  • Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Thank you guys clap.gif

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk