Baptism Photos

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in People
My wife and I went up to the Bay Area this past weekend for my nephew's baptism. She asked that I take a few photos to document the event. I was a bit nervous since I am kind of new to this type of shooting and using strobes. I didn't know what to expect as far as lighting in the church or good vantage points. As I kind of expected, lighting wasn't great but I cranked up the ISO a bit, set to manual and used my trusty little SB-600 speedlight for light. I shot most wide open at f/2.8.

I'm pretty happy with the results. I wasn't to thrilled with the only spot I could find to get a clear shot of the actual baptism; there was a large nativity scene right next to where everything was happening. I had to do a little bit of cloning on some. I haven't showed my sister-in-law the pictures yet because I wanted to get some feedback from you all. Mostly the WB and skin tones. I am having trouble with my monitors at home, I think they're off a bit so I tried my best to get the skin tones right. The venue was a bit "warm" as far as ambient so I tried to keep some of that warmth in the pictures. Hopefully it's not overboard though.

BTW, I processed these with the sort of "dreamy" look. I noticed all of the professionally done photos my sister-in-law has had done has this type of post work so I kind of did the same since apparently she likes it. Feedback on this would also be appreciated as far as my execution of it.

Well, nuff talk...

#1 - My sister-in-law and Marcus just before we left for the church
742110821_LL2i2-XL.jpg

#2 - Marcus and proud papa at home (shot with just window light)
742110015_Egp38-XL.jpg

#3 - Marcus being blessed
742301614_hs7eg-XL.jpg

#4 - Mom is blessed by the congregation
742116571_7DXZU-L.jpg

#5 - The Christening
742302067_jrRkY-L.jpg

#6 - Celebration
742115837_pqvdx-XL.jpg

These last set of portraits were a bit hurried as there were a lot of other cameras going off and we were kind of being "pushed" to leave the church. They actually turned off the lights at one point so we'd get the hint :dunno

#7 - Great aunt & uncle
742113859_4XfFK-L.jpg

#8 - Dad with mom & siblings
742300257_c96zg-L.jpg

#9 - Grandma & brother
742300927_rvpVb-XL.jpg

#10 - Brother & friend
742303443_EbjuV-L.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    That is one seriously cute baby iloveyou.gif

Alex, I'd say you're nailing it these days - these look great! I really love the softness of #1, plus such a nice expression from both of them. I'd say the "dreamy look" works a treat. And #10 - well, what can you say other than "CUUUUUUTTTTEEE!!!".

Sure, there are things here and there you might have done differently, but I think overall you should be very pleased - nice subjects, good "event" candid comps, well lit and pleasing - I'm sure the family are thrilled to have your shots! thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Nice shots, and congratulations on the christening! Many more happy moments. Overall, they are a really nice set. thumb.gif

Couple of nits:
    #1. Clone out the white in the lower left to not be distracting. Sweet shot.
    #2. Wish you had a better location and backdrop than the microwave here.
    3-6: Nice capturing of the ceremony.
    7-10: Looks like you were shooting the stobe forward here and you had more than just fill levels. Nice images and all, but if you bounce the flash (or hold the flash on a cord off to the side) you can get more directional light. Still nice captures of a special day.

10 is just the best!!! She's already making sure he eats enough.... rolleyes1.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    That is one seriously cute baby iloveyou.gif

Alex, I'd say you're nailing it these days - these look great! I really love the softness of #1, plus such a nice expression from both of them. I'd say the "dreamy look" works a treat. And #10 - well, what can you say other than "CUUUUUUTTTTEEE!!!".

Sure, there are things here and there you might have done differently, but I think overall you should be very pleased - nice subjects, good "event" candid comps, well lit and pleasing - I'm sure the family are thrilled to have your shots! thumb.gif

Thanks Diva. Very encouraging feedback. I tend to be a little critical of myself so it's good to hear that you think I did a good job. BTW, Marcus is really cute. One of the happiest babies I've ever met. He's always smiling and laughing.

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice shots, and congratulations on the christening! Many more happy moments. Overall, they are a really nice set. thumb.gif
    #1. Clone out the white in the lower left to not be distracting. Sweet shot.

Agreed and easy enough to do.
    #2. Wish you had a better location and backdrop than the microwave here.

Yes. This was a very impromptu shot. He was standing in the kitchen, next to the window and I decided to grab a shot. Maybe I can blur the BG out a bit, make it less noticeable.
    3-6: Nice capturing of the ceremony.

Thanks!
    7-10: Looks like you were shooting the stobe forward here and you had more than just fill levels. Nice images and all, but if you bounce the flash (or hold the flash on a cord off to the side) you can get more directional light. Still nice captures of a special day.

Agreed. Ceiling were just too high to get adequate light when bounced and there were really no walls to bounce from. I had the diffuser on the flash but still kind of hot. I thought of having my wife hold the flash off camera but there was just so much commotion going on. We weren't the only family Christening a child that day.
    10 is just the best!!! She's already making sure he eats enough.... rolleyes1.gif

Yes... they learn to train us boys young. :D

My Smug Site
    edited December 16, 2009
    A couple more of Marcus...

One with mommy:

742678555_nR9px-XL.jpg

And one with Auntie Flo:

742679793_XyAGd-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    these overall very nice. well lit, composed and processed. A few shots suffer from touch of harsh lighting due to unbounced flash but no one but a photographer would care.clap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Already FamousAlready Famous Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 16, 2009
    I really love # 6 - to see all the people who love this child, and who are there to support him, that's pretty touching.
    edited December 16, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    these overall very nice. well lit, composed and processed. A few shots suffer from touch of harsh lighting due to unbounced flash but no one but a photographer would care.clap.gif

Thanks Qarik. I wish I had been able to bounce. Tried but just not enough power from my SB-600; ceilings were way too high.

My Smug Site
    edited December 16, 2009
    I really love # 6 - to see all the people who love this child, and who are there to support him, that's pretty touching.

Yes... he is very loved and you're only seeing about half of the people that were there for him in the pics. I come from a Cuban Catholic family so it seemed pretty normal to have this many people attend a baptism. However, there were two other children being baptized and both only had the parents and god-parents attend. Seemed odd to me but it maybe the norm.

My Smug Site
  • JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I think you did an excellent job man!

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.