Margareth - C&C Welcome

Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
edited December 29, 2009 in People
So, I decided since winter is here in all its beautiful glory, that I should work a bit on my studio lighting technique. After all, many people do not want portraits done out in the snow, eh?

So, I got a lovely friend of mine to come over and do some modeling for me. She's never done modeling so, please take this into account when critiquing the shots. The main objective was lighting, the second (and more minor objective) was posing and framing.

C&C is much appreciated!

Thanks for looking,
Joe

1. I can't make up my mind whether I prefer the mouth closed.......
742540429_Kbp6h-XL.jpg

2......or slightly open.
742541090_xeXdW-XL.jpg

742537614_3XN9j-XL.jpg

742538951_tnGag-XL.jpg

742538241_vZqkX-XL.jpg

742546386_t2amG-XL.jpg

742546916_tajCv-XL.jpg

8. She was a great sport, and did some expressions that I thought were pretty cool and fun!
742544881_jnudG-XL.jpg

742549971_UbKpt-XL.jpg

10. She plays in a rock band with her other 2 sisters, so I thought a grungy, angry rock look might be fun.
742549360_Em3Ve-XL.jpg

11. A B&W conversion for the hell of it....I'm going to work this one a bit more I think.
742551763_9x3it-XL.jpg

742553231_mVsss-XL.jpg

742554520_xYQSD-XL.jpg

742557233_srBfQ-XL.jpg
Joe
North View Studio
http://www.zoradphotography.com
Montreal, Canada

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Very nice. Love #3 and #7. These are great. I've been studying studio lighting and practicing as well so from my point of view, you have some great examples of Butterfly, Side, Broad and Short Lighting. I think the post work is great too. Skin tones are really nice. Doesn't hurt that she's a beautiful gal too. Love the tight crop in the first few by the way. No wasted pixels there. And I like the open mouth better than closed.

Great job! clap.gif
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    wow !! simply stunning.. the young lady and your shots. I can only hope
    to achieve such results in the future. Thanks for the inspiration clap.gif

just for curiousity, did she want some of those shots without the birthmark?
    Devin
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    00SS wrote:
    wow !! simply stunning.. the young lady and your shots. I can only hope
    to achieve such results in the future. Thanks for the inspiration clap.gif

just for curiousity, did she want some of those shots without the birthmark?

I did clone out the birth mark on only a couple shots to give her an idea as to what it would look like without it. If she wants it in, no problem. If she wants it out, equally no problem. :D

Thanks for your comment also!

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Question... were these done with strobes? If so, were they gelled?

My Smug Site
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Really nice series. 3, 6 & 7 really stood out to me.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited December 16, 2009
    Question... were these done with strobes? If so, were they gelled?

To answer your question, yes they are strobes. Although, I also did use my reflector for some of the shots also. The strobes were not gel'd at all.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited December 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Really nice series. 3, 6 & 7 really stood out to me.

Hey Andrew,

Yeah, these are some of my favourites out of the entire session. They just seem so calm and relaxed to me.

Thanks,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    This is a beautiful set. I love all but #14 - that one .... don't know what I'm seeing for her knees, but whatever it is makes her look like a double amputee.
    edited December 17, 2009
    This is a beautiful set. I love all but #14 - that one .... don't know what I'm seeing for her knees, but whatever it is makes her look like a double amputee.

Thanks Scott,

Yeah, 13 does resemble that a bit eh? I think its because she had a pair of spandex underneath the ripped jeans. I might try to crop that one a bit. We'll see how it turns out.

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Very nice set of a beautiful sexy woman. Lots of favorites. Very nice job!!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
    edited December 17, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    Very nice set of a beautiful sexy woman. Lots of favorites. Very nice job!!

Thank you Ron! I think this is the first time I've had so many comments about a set rolleyes1.gif The minute I downloaded the shots to my Mac I knew that I had had a breakthrough. wings.gif

It was like a light turned on in my head as to what I was doing wrong with my studio lights. To be honest, I kind of pack away my lights and just never bothered to take them out for about a year now, because the last time I used them the shots turned out...."ok" but nothing special. ne_nau.gif

I am now re-invigorated to use my studio lights, and now want to pickup my portable battery for my lights so I can use them outside on location.

So much to buy, so little money! rolleyes1.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited December 17, 2009
    So much to buy, so little money! rolleyes1.gif

Couldn't agree more!

My Smug Site
    edited December 17, 2009
    Couldn't agree more!

Who knows, maybe if I am a good little boy, Santa will bring me my portable power system and a softbox or two rolleyes1.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Hi Joe! My favorite ones are the ones where she is smiling and showing some teeth. I get the feeling she is more relaxed in those shots, and is being herself. She has some beautiful eyes, and you did a great job of capturing them! I also like the photos of her with the guitar as well!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Really nice Joe! Since I'm trying to learn more about portrait lighting I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

For #7 it looks like your using an umbrella set about the same height, or just slightly higher, as the subject camera right? Is that shoot through or reflective? Are you setting the lighting very close in to the subject? And, lastly are you using a reflector here?
    edited December 18, 2009
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Really nice Joe! Since I'm trying to learn more about portrait lighting I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

For #7 it looks like your using an umbrella set about the same height, or just slightly higher, as the subject camera right? Is that shoot through or reflective? Are you setting the lighting very close in to the subject? And, lastly are you using a reflector here?

I'd love to share my lighting with you! I am using an umbrella for this shot (that's all I have is umbrellas right now) and a reflector, and it's set about 2-3 feet from her, camera right, about a 45 degree angle from the subject, maybe a little farther of an angle from the camera also. For the lighting to be soft, you need to get close. The reflector however was about 3-4 feet away from her. I wanted to just touch her a bit with the reflector. I also used another light, set almost to the ground about 3-4 feet from the backdrop with a 40 degree grid on it so that it shone at about head level. The backdrop light was set at about 45 degrees from the backdrop also.

I hope this answered you question. headscratch.gif Sometimes I'm not that good at explaining things :D
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited December 18, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Hi Joe! My favorite ones are the ones where she is smiling and showing some teeth. I get the feeling she is more relaxed in those shots, and is being herself. She has some beautiful eyes, and you did a great job of capturing them! I also like the photos of her with the guitar as well!

GaryB

Thanks a lot Gary! She was a little rigid and nervous at first, since she' never done modelling before, but in the later shots she relaxed, and did very well, at least I thought so. :D

Thank you for your compliments.

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    I'd love to share my lighting with you! I am using an umbrella for this shot (that's all I have is umbrellas right now) and a reflector, and it's set about 2-3 feet from her, camera right, about a 45 degree angle from the subject, maybe a little farther of an angle from the camera also. For the lighting to be soft, you need to get close. The reflector however was about 3-4 feet away from her. I wanted to just touch her a bit with the reflector. I also used another light, set almost to the ground about 3-4 feet from the backdrop with a 40 degree grid on it so that it shone at about head level. The backdrop light was set at about 45 degrees from the backdrop also.

I hope this answered you question. headscratch.gif Sometimes I'm not that good at explaining things :D

Thanks very much Joe!
    edited December 18, 2009
    So last night I did a couple conversions for the young lady I photographed, for her rock shots. Any preference to either or? ne_nau.gif

743430978_9ErJd-XL.jpg

743430027_sQCYd-XL.jpg

--Joe--
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • KalrogKalrog Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Very good series. The lighting on the face and skin looks great and you got a great partner for testing there!

The one nit that I have is the catchlight in some/most of them looks a bit funny. They are dead on center and low and that looks "wrong" to my eye.
    Nathan Deckinga
    Leander, Texas
    http://www.2-dphoto.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Not working for me (these shots based on #10). Not coming across as menacing or tough (maybe I'm biased by the prior shots too much) which I'm guessing is what she wanted given that expression. If you can you might want to widen the crop a bit so the side of her hand isn't cropped off. Sorry. Been liking the others, though...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited December 18, 2009
    Kalrog wrote:
    Very good series. The lighting on the face and skin looks great and you got a great partner for testing there!

The one nit that I have is the catchlight in some/most of them looks a bit funny. They are dead on center and low and that looks "wrong" to my eye.

The reason some fo the catch lights look low is because I was doing some beauty lighting, which I had one flash above and one below the model pointed on 45 degree angles down and up at her. That's why you see those. I'm not too sure yet how to get those to look different, though I suppose you might not be able to. headscratch.gif Maybe someone has some insight?

Thanks for your comments! :D

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited December 18, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Not working for me. Not coming across as menacing or tough (maybe I'm biased by the prior shots too much) which I'm guessing is what she wanted given that expression. If you can you might want to widen the crop a bit so the side of her hand isn't cropped off. Sorry. Been liking the others, though...

Thanks Andrew! Yeah, this shot was just one we played around with a bit. It's an ok shot, pose and expression wise, but you're right, the other ones might be lending some bias. I'm sort of in the same boat with you there I suppose. mwink.gif

--Joe--
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Good to go!

Lottsa good shtuff here with my fave being #5 - Just like the comp and expression in this but I'd go with a crop that gets rid of the white, distracting blouse thumb.gif

#1 of the second set........ GOOD.
  • Mr. QuietMr. Quiet Registered Users Posts: 1,047 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    I have to ask this question, sorry... How much time did you spend on PP? What kind of PP did you do with her skin, it's perfect...
    If you work at something hard enough, you WILL achieve your goal. "Me"

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D
    Tamron SP AF90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1

Welcome to my NEW website!

Mr. Christoferson
    edited December 18, 2009
    Mr. Quiet wrote:
    I have to ask this question, sorry... How much time did you spend on PP? What kind of PP did you do with her skin, it's perfect...

I actually hate to admit this, but most of the blemishes were removed right in Apple Aperture. Then I ran the photos through a plug in filter called Portraiture (plug in for Aperture and I believe Lightroom and Photoshop). Total time spent on skin was about 15 minutes tops. :D

Her skin was already very soft and there were no horrible huge zits or other major things to tweek, so it was relatively straightforward and minimal. I know there are a lot of people who use Photoshop and spend a LOT of time working on these things, so for me to admit what I do feels a little like the kid in school who is cheating rolleyes1.gif
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada
    edited December 19, 2009
    Good... I don't like to use them at all!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    #4 of the original set is my favorite. I love a good smirk. mwink.gif

Top notch job, wonderful presentation
    --Kres
    edited December 21, 2009
    By the way, stunning girl...

D200
    NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 D

Mr. Christoferson
    edited December 21, 2009
    Thank to everyone who responded! I appreciate the feedback from you. clap.gif

Take Care and Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah and a Happy New Year to Everyone! clap.gif

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    Montreal, Canada