Some Silky Water Shots

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited December 28, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
We don't have any waterfalls nearby, at least none that are more than 2 feet high. :rofl There is one section of the Riverwalk that has a few rocks and some "rapids" so I went there to try to achieve the silky water technique that I've seen so many folks do. I got a couple I was happy with, plus there was an egret who stayed for about 20 mins and let me get lots of shots off. I'll post one in Wildlife once I process the bird shots.

I was using Auto exp so the apertures got pretty small on some of them. No real long exposures, nothing over 1 sec and those lost too much detail in the splash. I need more practice. Additional C&C is welcomed, plus any tips.

Thanks,
Lauren

1. The "rapids" with B&W conversion - 70-300 lens at 185mm, f/20, .4 sec
741777474_tCVd8-L.jpg

2. Same shot in color
741778461_zKaDN-L.jpg

3. A closeup - 70-300 at 300mm, f/13, .5 sec
741779194_JBTVe-L.jpg

4. Different closeup view - 260mm, f/10, 1/5 sec
741781080_3oupG-L.jpg

5. Abstract
741780095_qooDr-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• jnsuffolkjnsuffolk Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Ive tried this a few times. Its really hard. At least for me. I bought a nd filter for this very purpose. with it you can really get a long exp and not loose detail.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Not silky, but I like that first one showing the movement very nicely. Your abstract is very good, and I think a good candidate for b/w as well.

thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • tiggrtootiggrtoo Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    I really like the abstract. It has a nice feel to it.thumb.gif
    Ted G.
    Thought before action, if there is time.
    http://tedgriffithphotography.smugmug.com/
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2009
    Very nice! And your abstract shot is beautiful! thumb.gif

When I do this, my exposure range is usually anywhere from 1/30th of a second to 2 seconds. The longer your exposure, the silkier the shot. I've seen beach shots from England with exposure times up to about 30 seconds. Exposures that long make the surf look like a low fog. :D
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • NorthernFocusNorthernFocus Registered Users Posts: 1,347 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    The abstract shot is really cool. I've tried to do something similar a few times without success. Nice job thumb.gif

The others are what I'd call betwixt and between. Not truly silky but not frozen motion either. In my (very) limited experience, there is no single answer on what shutter speed creates that silky look. It depends on how fast the water is moving, how agitated it is, how far away you are, etc. As already mentioned, and ND filter gives you more flexibility to get your shutter speed down.

Water is a really fun subject because of all of the different things you can do with it.
    Dan

My Photo Gallery:Northern Focus Photography
    I wish I was half the man that my dog thinks I am...
  • thomasrtuckerthomasrtucker Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Love the abstract and would like to see it B&W too.

Might I suggest that if you want the real silky look and don't want to invest in ND filters, try going at night. Set your aperture as high as you can get it (18, 22+) and shoot in aperture priority mode. You'll find, depending on how well lit the area is, you can get 30+ second exposures. Be sure to use a tripod though.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    These are very nice! Silky is all relative. Some images beg for detail in the water, others scream for a smooth ethereal look.

Play and enjoy.

Sam
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Wonderful photos, but your Abstract is really good. I like the movement and the color in it thumb.gif
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Hi Lauren.........It's a really good series......I like your abstract, but would like to see it in B/W......Of the first two, I like the color one a little bit better.
    WELL DONE, LAUREN!!!!!! azzaro
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Thanks, all! I have ND filter on my Christmas wish list already . . . they were really talked up at the Acadia Shootout and I could definitely see the reason why.

Water is indeed fun to play with as a subject. I'm working on a long-term project so I'm sure you'll be seeing more.

Here is the B&W ya'll suggested. Which do you like better? Also a couple more water shots I took on a different section of the Riverwalk yesterday.

1. Abstract B&W conversion done in Adobe Camera Raw
    743349461_gtsmy-L.jpg

2. Abstract B&W conversion done in PS CS4
    743348882_eWuwx-L.jpg

3. Another abstract of sorts - shot at 220mm, f/40, 5sec
    743348156_K3ibx-L.jpg

4. There wasn't much color to this shot so I went straight to a B&W conversion - it was a 2sec exposure
    743350082_YqLEb-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Oh I really like 3# -- the water coming off the rock looks like it's actually coming out of the edge of the rock. Cool look thumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 18, 2009
    I like the abstract as well, but I don't much care for the B&W idea. Instead, I would try radically changing the colors in PS. The lines and textures are great but the color of the original is kind of bland. Since it's an abstract, there's no reason the final colors have to look like water at all. Just a suggestion. :D
    edited December 18, 2009
    Abstract in Color
    Here's one for Richard--I colorized it in Topaz Adjust, which made for multiple colors and tones, rather than a single color that I got in a straight PS conversion.

744080299_N6CnT-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Hi Lauren

Nice series here. I particularly like #2 and #4. The abstract suffers I think from the fact that the color is rather drab. OOOPS... I see you've modified it in a subsequent post here. That's much better.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
    edited December 24, 2009
    Thanks, Jack. I'm going to try the abstract in other colors also. Thanks for stopping in to look.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    #5 fascinating

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thanks, Neil

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    You've been having fun! These are really excellent and I love the topaz conversion.clap.gif
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited December 28, 2009
    Thanks, Ceci!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com