Protected galleries in Communities

edmacdonaldedmacdonald Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited August 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I tried to add a password protected gallery to a community I created but it didn't show up until I removed the password.

Here's my use case:

My brother, father, and I are all SmugMuggers. We all shot photos at a family event this past weekend and we would like to makes the photos available to our extended familiy via one easy URL instead of accessing each of our individual accounts. But, I would also like to keep the general public out.

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    You can get around this by setting up a ShareGroup. I've mailed ShareGroup URLs to friends and family with password galleries in them. Unfortunately, each member would have to publish their own ShareGroup URL, or at least I don't know how to set up a ShareGroup made up of multiple members' galleries. ShareGroups are not as straightforward as communities because they aren't listed anywhere except in your account info. Maybe that's why you can have password galleries in them.
  • asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    Yeah, a Sharegroup is probably what you want. Since you can input a description you could use some HTML to create links to the rest of the albums that are not in your account (since you won't be able to add them to your sharegroup), but unless you go all out the links won't have images with them the way the albums in your sharegroup do.

Or, if you wanna get sneaky, you can make one private album and grab a photo from each of the albums you want to share with friends. Give each photo a description that is an HTML link to its album and then you've got your own fake album listing. Pass out the link to your private album and tell your friends to click the links by each photo to go to its album.
  • edmacdonaldedmacdonald Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 23, 2005
    asd wrote:
    Yeah, a Sharegroup is probably what you want.
    Nope. Fundamental to my use case is that my brother, father and I all want to contribute to the common photo pool. Communities are the only way I have found to collect photos from multiple users.

Ed
  • smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    Nope. Fundamental to my use case is that my brother, father and I all want to contribute to the common photo pool. Communities are the only way I have found to collect photos from multiple users.

Ed

Do you all have smugmug accounts? You could just add a password to one account allowing others to upload photos to that account. It is an option in the control panel.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!
  • smhs.imagessmhs.images Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2006
    So I have a similar question. In communities can you have a private album? In my own commuity, my kind of town, I was able to set an album to private and then feature it in the community and it shows up. Even when I am not logged in I can still see it. But I tried this with another community and it does not show up unless I make it public. Did it work in my community because it belongs to me or because I featured the gallery? It doesn't seem to make sense.
    Shawna
    www.shawnaseto.com

Nobody gets in to see the wizard. Not nobody, not no how.

Join Smugmug get $5 bucks off!