Little Basketball Man

kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in People
Okay..took some portraits of my little man. This is his first year of basketball (age 7). Let me know what you think...

THumbnailTwo.jpg

THUMBNAIL1-1.jpg

THumbnail3-1.jpg

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Okay..took some portraits of my little man. This is his first year of basketball (age 7). Let me know what you think...
    Nice use of light, but I'm puzzled why you want to portray him as "little," looking down on him and foreshortening him. headscratch.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    BDcolen---thank you for your reply!

Okay...my intent in this series was to create a little drama...thus the heavy Rembrant light and the foreshortening. I didn't want to distort him...and hopefully didn't do that too much. I was about 6 feet up on a ladder and thought that would be sufficient to eliminate the "compressed" look but still give the drama to the picture. Why little? Well, it is his 1st year in basketball and I know there will be many years to come of him looking big...So I was hoping to make him seem small/young, but yet dramatic. I definately did not want him distorted or compressed. Any more thoughts on this?
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    These are really cool shots. Really nice use of lighting as was mentioned by the previous poster. I don't think the perspective distorts him at all. I like the drama you created with the high vantage point and the hard lighting. Colors are great... especially the basketball. Very cool. Much more exciting that the typical sports portrait that most kids get.

I do think you should consider flipping the perspective and shoot from the ground up. Not to replace these shots but to compliment them. Maybe pose him on an outdoor court so you can see the hoop in the background. Play around with the distances between him and the basket so it appears like he is really tall and imposing. Maybe something like this but make it a 3/4 length pose. It would be cool if you have him palming the ball with the ball close to the lens. I know he can't actually palm the ball but maybe you can work it in with photoshop.

spacejam.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I like the first one best for pleasing angle/posing as well as lighting and PP. As noted, be sure to get other shots to show his size relative to the actual height of the basket so that you can actually compare the change through the years.

Another way to achieve your "Little bb man" might be to find a gym whereby you can shoot from above the hoop (eg -- where the bleachers are above the basket. Shoot with the hoop in the foreground from directly above or slightly offset with him on the court below with a wide angle lens. Or even stand on your six foot ladder with a wide angle and have the hoop at the top of the frame while he is on the court below.
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    really nice
    Really nice shots and I like the angle -- also agree a nice complement to the photos would be to shoot him ground up...could be a great little series. Very nice work. Fun to look at.