Dream portrait lens for ~1000.00

PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited December 17, 2009 in Cameras
Any suggestions for a Nikon body
http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009

Dream? Find yourself the 85 1.4 somewhere. In terms of performance, it is every bit the equal of the astounding Leica M 75 1.4 Summilux. Gorgeous out-of-focus handling. A really ideal portrait/short tele.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009

I think you can still get a 80-200mm lens for about $1000.00 USD. I bought the 70-200mm 2.8 lens which is more money, but I use it for portraits almost exclusively (unless I'm in a REAL tight spot). The 80-200mm is the predecessor to the 70-200mm lens, and is still a great lens.

I'm use there are other lenses out there for about the price of $1000 but I can't think of any. If you save up some extra cash, you could always consider the 24-70mm 2.8 lens, which would be great for portraits.

Anyhow, my two cents.

Take Care,
    Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Joe, I'm thinking of the Canon 70-200L IS USM (2.8) and was wondering about the "tight on space" thing. How tight do you mean? I don't have a ton of indoor space to shoot but was really hoping this would work for me. Do you find it a bear to carry? It is titanium, right? Not light.
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    kidzmom wrote:
    Joe, I'm thinking of the Canon 70-200L IS USM (2.8) and was wondering about the "tight on space" thing. How tight do you mean? I don't have a ton of indoor space to shoot but was really hoping this would work for me. Do you find it a bear to carry? It is titanium, right? Not light.

Well, my 70-200mm 2.8 lens is a bit heavier (I shoulder carry it otherwise my neck would have permanent neurological damage I think Laughing.gif!). But the weight is due to the all metal construction. It's built like a tank, and quite weather resistant. The picture is fantastic, the VR works good, so I love it.

As for indoor studio shoots, well, if you are shooting individuals, it works out nice. If I have to shoot more than 1, then it can be too tight. It all depends on your space available. Outdoors, it never comes off my camera, ok, 99% of the time it never comes off my camera :D

I'm not sure about the Canon and how it's construction is, but man, I bought mine and never looked back. Nikon just released their new 70-200mm 2.8 lens with VR 2 and I would love to have it, but my lens now does a great job, and when I end up getting my D700 the lens is also a full frame lens, so there won't be any compatibility issues with it.

My goal is to have the 14-24mm f 2.8 for wider stuff, the 24-70mm F 2.8 for a good mid-range/portrait zoom and my 70-200mm F 2.8 (which I currently have) for my portrait/telephoto lens. I have a 50mm 1.8 lens which is nice also. BD also mentioned the 80 1.4 which is on my list of lenses to get, eventually. :D

Like I said, so many things I want, so little money :cry
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    The 50mm/1.4 or 85mm/1.4 are awesome. And as someone already mentioned, if you can spare a bit over $1,000, definitely the 24-70mm/2.8.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I'm not an expert but I have been shooting indoor portraits lately. I use my 28-70 f/2.8 which was replaced by the 24-70 f/2.8 that people have mentioned. I think performance wise they are very similar. I love this lens. Very nice skin tones, great bokeh and nice focal length for doing portraits indoors. I bought mine used for about $900. I shoot on a D300 so its actual focal lenght is 42-105. This works out well for single and multiple people shots in space as small as 5-7' from camera to subject.

My next lens is the 70-200 f/2.8. I've rented this lens in the past and it is on-par with my 28-70. Great lens. I think it would be a bit tight though for some of my indoor shots of groups of people. However, I plan on upgrading to the D700s when it is released so that would make it a bit shorter since the cropped factor is eliminated.

Hope this is helpful.

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • SLRdudeSLRdude Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Nikon 135mm f/2 DC
    Chip

ad astra per aspera
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Dream? Find yourself the 85 1.4 somewhere. In terms of performance, it is every bit the equal of the astounding Leica M 75 1.4 Summilux. Gorgeous out-of-focus handling. A really ideal portrait/short tele.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

+1
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    +1

+1 on the 85mm, f1.4

This is Nikon's premiere portrait lens.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    I've moved this to the camera forum thumb.gif
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    SLRdude wrote:
    Nikon 135mm f/2 DC
    +1 15524779-Ti.gif

I don't own this lens, but have seen portraits taken with it.... simply amazing. I'm currently shooting portraits with my D300, 17-55 2.8 with it set at 24mm most of the time. The 85 1.4 is good, and the 70-200 2.8 is good... as well as the 24-70 2.8... all of those are on my dream list. too bad I'm broke for the next several months due to my recent splurge on Alien Bees :D
    Jer
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Sigma 17-70f2.8-4 & Sigma 70-200 F2.8

I love all the answers....but shouldn't we be asking this:

Which Nikon body do you have and use???

With my past and present crop bodies I still maintain that a great combo is : a Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 and a 70-200F2.8 ....have not used the 17-70 but have read several reports taht give it great reference.....have been using several Sigma 70-210 f2.8 (predessor of the 70-200f.8) and love all that I have owned....narry one gave me bad pix.......I have used a 70-210 for portraits when my studio was in the front room of my rented mobull home....there was a couple of times I had to step out on the front deck to get back far enuff to get what i wanted but only a few.....oh that was with a full frame film camera.....and yes there were "crop" frame 35's in the film days :D (called 35mm aps........)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website