edited December 17, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Cool! Say, is that China Ranch?

Thanks. Nope.
    Anybody can do it.
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    continuing ...

Stars. This was shot at about 2:30 am during a full moon -- iso 1000, 30 secs. @ f4.8.

The location is very remote being 65 miles out in the desert away from the nearest town of any residential significance (and irrelevant). The California fan palm trees, although planted by man, are native to the nearby oasis habitat. This particular stretch of sand is an ancient beach of a lake that dried up about 9,000 years ago. I like the area because of its surreal qualities and in this case used them to express what I see in a dream -- landscapes, but not complex and simple in composition and arranged in appearance. The empty foreground and centered horizon are intentional to assist in this expression... the feel of 'sleepwalking', or maybe more descriptively, dream walking. I like the former title more. I chose to keep the shot light as if it were daytime. Rarely do my dreams occur in day or night settings, but in sort of a nether light that can be interpreted either way. As I had spent the previous 3-4 hours out of artificial light I figured my night vision was 80-90% of what I would have seen during the daytime- this image isn't so far off the mark from what I saw as some may think for a night shot.
    Anybody can do it.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    amazing... looks just like daylight! i'd have expected a more bluish-silver tint and less color saturation from moonlight. i've done some 30-sec exposures at ISO 1000 and f/2.8 that didn't come out even remotely that bright, though admittedly they weren't shot with a full moon. i guess i'll have to try it with a full moon and see how it works. if you can see anything even close to that in the middle of the night, even with a full moon, i'm envious... you've got better eyes than a cat!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    squirl033 wrote:
    amazing... looks just like daylight! i'd have expected a more bluish-silver tint and less color saturation from moonlight. i've done some 30-sec exposures at ISO 1000 and f/2.8 that didn't come out even remotely that bright, though admittedly they weren't shot with a full moon. i guess i'll have to try it with a full moon and see how it works. if you can see anything even close to that in the middle of the night, even with a full moon, i'm envious... you've got better eyes than a cat!

Here is something I thought interesting regarding what we see and what is, at night. Note the bits regarding our ability to distinguish of color at night.

http://stlplaces.com/night_vision_red_myth/

The sand is quite light also, which I believe brightens everything up.

I figure I was at about 80% of my vision. There are no ambient porchlights, headlights, etc. to screw up the production of the chemical that enables natural night vision.
    Anybody can do it.
  • JeffCanonJeffCanon Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Walter
    I’m guessing that the angle of ground and line formed by the palms is correct, but to me it seems as if going downward to the right and is making me fell as if I’m falling down. Not sure if that is good or badheadscratch.gif