Digital medium format users

Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited December 18, 2009 in Cameras
Has anyone gotten or tested the Mamiya DM33 or DM56 backs? It is time for me to upgrade the DL28 and would love some first hand reports on these newer units.
Steve

Website

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    Has anyone gotten or tested the Mamiya DM33 or DM56 backs? It is time for me to upgrade the DL28 and would love some first hand reports on these newer units.

question: why shoot with medium format cameras? What advantage do they have over D3 for example? Better Dynamic range? Pixels? I don't think ISO is an issue for studio work right?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    question: why shoot with medium format cameras? What advantage do they have over D3 for example? Better Dynamic range? Pixels? I don't think ISO is an issue for studio work right?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my D3 and both get used quite frequently, but in the studio under controlled situations, it doesn't come close to matching the DL28. The basic sharpness, the shear size of the file and sensor, the color, the saturation, the dynamic range. All of these factors are head and shoulders above the D3. The ISO range is very limited, the start up and shutter speeds are all far below the D3, but I don't use them for the same purposes. It is time for me to upgrade my digital backs and would love to know who has used these new backs and what they think of them.
    Steve

Website
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my D3 and both get used quite frequently, but in the studio under controlled situations, it doesn't come close to matching the DL28. The basic sharpness, the shear size of the file and sensor, the color, the saturation, the dynamic range. All of these factors are head and shoulders above the D3. The ISO range is very limited, the start up and shutter speeds are all far below the D3, but I don't use them for the same purposes. It is time for me to upgrade my digital backs and would love to know who has used these new backs and what they think of them.

mind putting up a shot from the medium format? thanksclap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com