Options

Canon 70-210 4.0 question

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited December 18, 2009 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
I was given a Canon EOS 650 camera today, along with a Canon 70-210 4.0 lens. If I remember correctly, there was a 3.5-4.5 version as well. One was better then the other I believe. Question is, which one is better :dunno
Thank you for your help :thumb
Have a good evening :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening Folks,
    I was given a Canon EOS 650 camera today, along with a Canon 70-210 4.0 lens. If I remember correctly, there was a 3.5-4.5 version as well. One was better then the other I believe. Question is, which one is better ne_nau.gif
    Thank you for your help thumb.gif
    Jim...

Hey Jim
    The 3.5-4.5 was the better lens. I mistakenly purchased the f/4 years ago off eBay. Sold it off and then bought the 'correct' version. That 3.5-4.5 served me very well for a while until I got funds together for the f/4 IS.
    Hope that helps.
    E
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2009
    eoren1 wrote:
    Hey Jim
    The 3.5-4.5 was the better lens. I mistakenly purchased the f/4 years ago off eBay. Sold it off and then bought the 'correct' version. That 3.5-4.5 served me very well for a while until I got funds together for the f/4 IS.
    Hope that helps.
    E
    Good Evening E,
    Thanks for your response thumb.gif I guess I'll sell both items, and the LL Bean camera bag, at a bargain price then. Thanks again.
    Jim...
  • Options
    Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Evening E,
    Thanks for your response thumb.gif I guess I'll sell both items, and the LL Bean camera bag, at a bargain price then. Thanks again.
    Jim...

Have you even used the lens? Who knows you might like the copy you got.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a film camera on hand that takes your EOS lenes. I have the next model up, the 620, and they just differ by a few features. Just for the heck of it I have looked at prices and they don't seem high enough to go through the selling process.

Jane B.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    Have you even used the lens? Who knows you might like the copy you got.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to have a film camera on hand that takes your EOS lenes. I have the next model up, the 620, and they just differ by a few features. Just for the heck of it I have looked at prices and they don't seem high enough to go through the selling process.

Jane B.

Morning Jane,
    Thanks for your comments thumb.gif
    I have the 70-200 4.0 version, and I did shoot a few pics last night just for fun. The 70-210 is not a bad lens, but it's not sharp at 4.0 at any focal length. It needs to be stopped down to at least 5.0 to match the same sharpness as my 70-200 4.0 wide open. Also, the contrast lacks at the long end. As for the camera itself, I do have (somewhere in the house mwink.gif ) a Canon Rebel and a Canon AE-1 camera from the early 80's. I have used the AE-1 more times then the Rebel in the last few yrs. Thanks again.
    Have a good morning :D
    Jim...