Ice Falls in the Columbia Gorge

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Landscapes
I went to the Columbia Gorge last Saturday as the forecast called for snow - that didn't happen unfortunately - but a weeks worth of below freezing temperatures had almost the same effect. The freezing rain and dangerously icy roads cut my trip short by a few hours, but I was still able to visit five waterfalls.

But first, a shot of Snoqualmie Falls from Sunday:

#1:

740282400_ze8cv-XL.jpg

And now the Columbia Gorge:

#2: Latourell Falls

740161965_DpSYd-XL.jpg

#3: Latourell Falls

740259099_jHDjC-XL.jpg

#4: Multnomah Falls

740284266_bcGSC-XL.jpg

#5: Wahkeena Falls

740263694_hijcP-XL.jpg

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 17, 2009
    Wow. Those falls really take on a distinctly different look in the winter. Stark, cold, and foreboding. I had to do a triple-take on #3 to figure out the white water flowing on the rocks, under the layer of ice-crust. Crazy. eek7.gif I think I remember shots of people ice climbing the Mulnomah falls before, have you seen that?

At any rate, mission accomplished. You got some fine shots here, Ron. thumb.gif

BTW, is that bright spash of yellow on the rocks at Latourell lichen?

-joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    eek7.gif

and to think I thought it was icy when I was there in March. I want to go back now- in summer and now.deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Oh Wow!!! These are all gorgeous. I think you did a great job on each and every one of them. Hard for me to pick a favorite. Would love to have seen these in person.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Wow. Those falls really take on a distinctly different look in the winter. Stark, cold, and foreboding. I had to do a triple-take on #3 to figure out the white water flowing on the rocks, under the layer of ice-crust. Crazy. eek7.gif I think I remember shots of people ice climbing the Mulnomah falls before, have you seen that?

At any rate, mission accomplished. You got some fine shots here, Ron. thumb.gif

BTW, is that bright spash of yellow on the rocks at Latourell lichen?

-joel

Thanks Joel! And yes, that's yellow lichen on Latourell Falls. There's some commercial on TV (I think it's for Levis?) that briefly shows Latourell Falls, the yellow lichen is a dead give away.
    edited December 18, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    eek7.gif

and to think I thought it was icy when I was there in March. I want to go back now- in summer and now.deal.gif

Actually late Spring is the best time as far as peak water volume from snow melt, autumn is great for fall colors, winter is cool for shots like these (although it is quite rare for it to be this icy, less rare for there to be snow but I haven't shot it in snow yet, that's my next goal). I slid (intentionally) about 12 feet down the completely iced over concrete path to the falls and had to grab on to the bridge so that I didn't splash into the creek :D
    edited December 18, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    Oh Wow!!! These are all gorgeous. I think you did a great job on each and every one of them. Hard for me to pick a favorite. Would love to have seen these in person.

Thanks David, it was a pretty awesome sight in person. I just wish the roads weren't so icy so I would have been able to see a few more. Now I'm just hoping it snows (no ice) so I can go back.
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Sweet shots, Ron! What a difference a little freezing weather makes!! clap.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    they sure look different in the winter! i really need to get down to the Gorge one of these days and shoot those falls... perhaps once my employment situation stabilizes, and i know for sure where i'll be, i can plan a trip...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    What a difference ice makes! I really like the contrast between the ice and the green/yellow lichen and moss.
  • acowanacowan Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Ice and moving water together might be my favorite subject. I'm jealous that you had this opportunity...those are great images!thumb.gif
  • dlsdls Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    dang, that is just wild. very different from the autumn images. maybe i have not been paying attention, but i have not seen snoqualmie with that degree of ice before. were you able to go down to the lower level this time (probably closed now, right)?... shots from that angle would be really cool, although navigating the frozen boulders might make it a bit hazardous, i suppose. the falls, ice cone and frozen edges of the river is sweet comp in #2. very nice set in all. thumb.gif
  • Phil TompsonPhil Tompson Banned Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Wow, that is a great series. Amazing.
    edited December 26, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone, sorry for the lag time in my response.
    dls wrote:
    dang, that is just wild. very different from the autumn images. maybe i have not been paying attention, but i have not seen snoqualmie with that degree of ice before. were you able to go down to the lower level this time (probably closed now, right)?... shots from that angle would be really cool, although navigating the frozen boulders might make it a bit hazardous, i suppose. the falls, ice cone and frozen edges of the river is sweet comp in #2. very nice set in all. thumb.gif

I didn't get any shots from the lower level - though it was open. One of my friends went down there and had quite a fall actually (so yes it was hazardous). I generally prefer the shots from the top rather than the base which is why I didn't go down there, maybe I should have.
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Gorgeous!
    Ron,
    These are just gorgeous! I like the last two the best. I can't tell - is the last one frozen over with just some water behind it?
    Thanks,
    Larry
    Larry
    edited December 26, 2009
    ridgemac wrote:
    Ron,
    These are just gorgeous! I like the last two the best. I can't tell - is the last one frozen over with just some water behind it?
    Thanks,
    Larry

Thanks Larry. The rock was frozen in the middle with most of the water flowing on the right, a little on the left, and a very small trickle in front of the frozen middle.