Life In a Slice of Airport

dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited December 20, 2009 in People
This is a series of photos that I took at an airport in Phoenix, Arizona of complete strangers. This is what I most love about photography - the ability to capture moments that would otherwise evaporate with the passage of time.

I did give my e-mail to the families and even mailed out a DVD to them. They were ecstatic!

All photos taken with Canon 1DS MK I and either 85mm 1.8 USM or 50mm 1.8.

743776874_Do2m9-XL.jpg

743776896_zV9Mh-XL.jpg

743777008_hc5Qc-XL.jpg

743776716_p6Afm-XL.jpg

743776785_M3d3U-L.jpg

The entire series is located here:

http://www.chewyphoto.com/Other/Life-In-a-Slice-of-Airport/10682693_amLc5/1

Thanks for looking :)

- Daniel Chui

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Very great candids, and it looks like you really made their day (and then again when you sent them the dvd).
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Daniel,

What a great series of photos. I love every last one of them. You started off my day with a smile.

Thanks,,

Alex
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    haha,,these are greatclap.gif
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Nice shots. Do you convert to B&W in Photoshop?
  • toddbtoddb Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    great series
    Way to make the most of your time sitting at the airport --- love the all, but No. 2 is my favorite. They both look like they're having so much fun!
  • dychuidychui Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Very great candids, and it looks like you really made their day (and then again when you sent them the dvd).

Hey Andrew! Thanks for the feedback :). Have a great day!
    edited December 19, 2009
    Daniel,

What a great series of photos. I love every last one of them. You started off my day with a smile.

Thanks,,

Alex

Hey Alex!

I'm glad I was able to help you start the day with a smile. Thanks for looking!
    edited December 19, 2009
    Caspian wrote:
    Nice shots. Do you convert to B&W in Photoshop?

I use Silver Efex Pro and use the HIGH STRUCTURE conversion method. It saves me a lot of time because I don't have to do as much individual dodging and burning, and I can focus on the photography. Unfortunately, certain colors do become posterized during this conversion method, but if i know I'm not printing it it usually isn't too often that this happens.

Take care!
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    A great set of candid shots - Like #2 the best you were able to capture father and daughter both having a great time. It would make a great portrait shot to hang on the wall of the child's room. I would love to see the color shot.

Most of my flower shots are of plants I have grown myself.

www.Photoman74.SmugMug.com
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Of the series you posted here, #1 is my fave. If the SWA logo were more centered, I bet the airline would be on the phone trying to buy it for their advertising campaign.

Looking over the entire series, I think you missed a golden opportunity - the 4th from the end shot of the little girl at the carry-on measuring box. If she had climbed into the box, you could have had an award-winner there: She fits, so we can carry her on the plane!

Terrific series overall.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"