Options

Using the rocket blower

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited July 26, 2005 in Technique
Ziggy mentioned that it isnt wise to use the blower without prior washing it out inside to remove any rubber preservative dust inside. Now ive NEVER cleaned my sensor...its got a few spots in there but nothing too worrying.

I opened the valve on the giotto rocket & it looks clean as a whistle in there. My question is...should i give it a blast or leave sleeping dogs lie ? Im concerned that by trying to clean it, i may inadvertantly make it worse ..ie move dust onto the sensor.

Yes andy...im ordering a copperhill shortly.

Gus

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2005
    i use the giottos in between swabbings - just blow the hell out of it a few times before you do it inside your camera. oh and i keep mine in a big ziplock btw - just to be extra sure no dust gets sucked in :D
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2005
    Ok mate...in i go.

Finished those king sized ripes yet ?

Gus
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    ok..so for a camera thats never been cleaned & has lens changes that resemble 12 clowns trying to get into a VW..

does it look ok ?

ISO 100
    1/25
    f/32
    400mm

29425838-L.jpg
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2005
    There are quite a few dust specks on there. I circled them in red. Since that picture was on a very clear sky at very spall aperture, I doubt that most of them would show up on normal pictures.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2005
    Red Bull wrote:
    There are quite a few dust specks on there. I circled them in red. Since that picture was on a very clear sky at very spall aperture, I doubt that most of them would show up on normal pictures.
    Thanks Rb...i did see them. Only one on the far right ever turns up in a shot & if it does i just clone it away.

I never switch my camera off to lens change & open it up anywhere. I always assumed they (ccd/cmos) were dust magnets. Does not appear to be too much of a problem though.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2005
    Gus,

I have tried cleaning my camera to get rid of all dust spots and haven't been able to do it any better than what you are showing here. I'd say this is OK. Like you, I never really see them except in extreme circumstances.

Erich