Options

Battery grips: Canon vs. Flashpoint vs. Zeikos?

photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
edited July 1, 2011 in Accessories
I just sold my Canon 40D + BG-E2 battery grip and acquired a Canon 7D body. I expect to get a battery grip for it in the next few weeks ... hmm, but which one?

I'm considering the $200 Canon BG-E7 grip, but also Adorama's $85 Flashpoint grip for the 7D [update: it's popular enough that the price nudged up to $90 - still a bargain]. And it's always possible that Zeikos will come out with a 7D grip before I make my purchase.

Has anyone had experience with an Adorama Flashpoint or Zeikos battery grip that they could share? How well-made are they, compared to Canon grips? How well (tightly) do they fit the camera body? Are they missing any features, compared to the Canon grip? Do they add any new features than Canon's grip doesn't have?

thanks for any info you can provide!
Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 18, 2009
    I can't answer for Canon stuff but in the Nikon world, the Nikon battery grip was/is a better choice. The "fit and finish" is better. I have had a Taurus brand grip and now have the Nikon so from that point of view I to have experience. I hope this helps make your choice.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    I'd recommend Phottix Grips. I have one for a 500D (XTi) and one for my 5D II. Very durable and inexpensive. Search the forum to find some reviews. thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2009
    Thanks for your postings so far...

Re Phottix -- I can't locate a Phottix grip for the 7D; it's probably not out yet...
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    I have bought the canon grip for the XSi, and 30D. I have also bought a 3rd party grip for
    my canon 5DMKII. I can truthfully say that I can see or feel no difference between the grips.
    The canon grip for the MKII was $280, the 3rd party grip was $105.

YMMV.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2009
    davev wrote:
    I have bought the canon grip for the XSi, and 30D. I have also bought a 3rd party grip for
    my canon 5DMKII. I can truthfully say that I can see or feel no difference between the grips.
    The canon grip for the MKII was $280, the 3rd party grip was $105.
    And therefore, the $64,000 question is ... what brand was your 3rd-party grip?

thanks!

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    photobug wrote:
    And therefore, the $64,000 question is ... what brand was your 3rd-party grip?

thanks!

I just looked .... it's a Zeikos.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    zypherzypher Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Zeikos...not out yet but from the reviews i've read they are great...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,830 moderator
    edited December 19, 2009
    zypher wrote:
    Zeikos...not out yet but from the reviews i've read they are great...

Zypher, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comment.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I can't confirm this,but I have read the BG-E7 has new and improved seal.
    My only complaint is the shutter release is super sensitive. You breath on it and it fires????
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    i emailed Zeikos a few days ago to ask for the release date on the 7D grip. they replied quickly and said "2 weeks". i've read other posts that have said the same thing, but they asked weeks ago...so the actual release date is a mystery. eek7.gif

i'll probably go with the Zeikos, if it ever comes out, otherwise the Canon brand.
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    gecko0gecko0 Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2010
    just a follow-up on this...I placed an order for the Zeikos 7D grip and a 2nd battery. I'll report back with impressions once it arrives later this week! :D
    Canon 7D and some stuff that sticks on the end of it.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    Bought the Adorama Flashpoint grip for 7D
    Quick update:

I ended up ordering the Adorama's $85 Flashpoint grip for the 7D. It was on back-order for a couple of weeks, then bingo! it showed up in the mail. I've used it a bit and so far, so good -- it seems to work as well on my 7D as my Canon BG-E2 grip did on my old 40D.

And as a 7D grip, the Flashpoint one is 1/2 the price of Canon's, making me a happy camper :D. So far, it seems like a very good value.

• Options
    edited January 25, 2010
    photobug wrote:
    Quick update:

I ended up ordering the Adorama's $85 Flashpoint grip for the 7D. It was on back-order for a couple of weeks, then bingo! it showed up in the mail. I've used it a bit and so far, so good -- it seems to work as well as my Canon BG-E2 grip on my old 40D. And as a 7D grip, the Flashpoint one is 1/2 the price of Canon's, making me a happy camper :D.

Congratulations and thanks for the update and recommendation. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • Options
    HelenOsterHelenOster Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    Message from Helen at Adorama
    photobug wrote:
    Quick update:

I ended up ordering the Adorama's $85 Flashpoint grip for the 7D.....it seems to work as well as my Canon BG-E2 grip on my old 40D. And as a 7D grip, the Flashpoint one is 1/2 the price of Canon's, making me a happy camper :D.

Don't forget my contact details if you need any after-sales support!
    Helen Oster
    Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
    http://twitter.com/HelenOster
    Helen@adorama.com
    www.adorama.com
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2010
    HelenOster wrote:
    Don't forget my contact details if you need any after-sales support!
    Thanks, Helen! I'm filing it away right now. Hopefully the Flashpoint grip will work flawlessly for years and I won't need to contact you mwink.gif.

I appreciate that you're monitoring DGrin (no doubt especially re mentions of Adorama/Flashpoint).

BTW, I had previously shifted most of my buisness to a competitor of yours (I'm sure you know which one) because it offered free shipping to NAPP members. But now that Adorama offers free shipping on some items to everyone and free shipping on ALL items to NAPP members, Adorama is back on my "preferred vendor" list ;-).

• Options
    JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2010
    I also purchased the flashpoint grip for my 7d....I've had the grip since early January, and so far, it works great. The camera is so much easier to hold in portrait AND landscape positions. All of the controls work as they should. An interesting side-note.... the instructions that came with mine don't have any brand name listed on them at all, but every reference to the grip calls it BG-E7... almost as if it was literally a copy of the Canon instructions... regardless though, it was well worth the wait to save over $100.00 on a product that works as well as this...
  • Options
    ssimmonsphotossimmonsphoto Registered Users Posts: 424 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2010
    JohnRog wrote:
    I also purchased the flashpoint grip for my 7d....I've had the grip since early January, and so far, it works great. The camera is so much easier to hold in portrait AND landscape positions. All of the controls work as they should. An interesting side-note.... the instructions that came with mine don't have any brand name listed on them at all, but every reference to the grip calls it BG-E7... almost as if it was literally a copy of the Canon instructions... regardless though, it was well worth the wait to save over $100.00 on a product that works as well as this...

Thanks for the advice. This is just what I was looking for when I logged in today. Now I've ordered the Flashpoint even though it's backordered so I have it for my 7D that I bought last night. Woot! wings.gif
    Website (hosted by Zenfolio after 6.5 years with SmugMug) | Blog (hosted by Zenfolio) | Tave User
  • Options
    boksterbokster Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2011
    Zeikos Battery Grip Issue
    Hi:

Well I purchased the Zeikos BG-E2N battery grip from B&H for my Canon 30D. Received the item and tried to install it into my camera but guess what? It wouldn't fit because I received the wrong grip! Even thought the box and label on the grip say Canon 30D/40D/50D. Came to find out, I received one that was for Canon 5D. So frustrated!

Has anyone had the same problem? Is this an one-off issue?
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    Flashpoint grip ... still tickin'
    Just by way of additional follow-up ... I've had the Flashpoint grip on my 7D for a year and a half now, and it still works flawlessly. I haven't been able to shoot as much as usual in the last year, so can't say I've subjected it to a lot of abuse, but so far am certainly as happy with it as I had been with previous Canon brand battery grips. This Flashpoint grip seems to be a good product and a great value.

• Options
    edited June 28, 2011
    bokster wrote: »
    Hi:

Well I purchased the Zeikos BG-E2N battery grip from B&H for my Canon 30D. Received the item and tried to install it into my camera but guess what? It wouldn't fit because I received the wrong grip! Even thought the box and label on the grip say Canon 30D/40D/50D. Came to find out, I received one that was for Canon 5D. So frustrated!

B&H has a marvelous after-purchase support system. Just send it back.

That does sound like a Zeikos packaging error.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2011
    I reordered and received the same wrong item again! Maybe it's the batch at B&H. I sure hope so as I just bought another one directly from Amazon.
  • Options
    henryphenryp Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2011
    bokster wrote: »

I am sorry for this frustrating experience. I've alerted our brand manager for this product and we'll have our inventory checked. In the meantime I see our customer service dept has issued return authorization with pre-paid UPS labels to expedite your returning the mis-packaged items.
  • Options
    edited June 30, 2011
    HenryP:

Just to be clear – I am not faulting B&H. It's probably the shipment you received from supplier. B&H has always been responsive and provide excellent service.!
  • Options
    LordKwazLordKwaz Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2011
    Just the thread i needed. Think ill just make my way over to BH or Adorama and give these grips a testdrive on sunday
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2011
    WTG Henry and B&H. A class act, through and through. thumb.gifthumbclap.gif
    ziggy53