point and shoot getting hot

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited December 18, 2009 in Cameras
A friend asked me about her little Canon Powershot SD550 today. (She was trying to take a photo of her child during swim team practice...flash was on...child was in the pool about 30 feet away...photo didn't turn out well...she wondered why.) I was explaining a few things and I noticed the camera was feeling very hot in my hands. She pointed that out and wondered about the heat and if it was OK, normal or ? She said that she even thought she noticed a bit of smoke (?!) coming out of it now and then, when she was taking a number of photos. It has never stopped working and seems to be reliable, but she wondered about how hot it seemed to get. She's had it for a couple years and hasn't had any issues with it otherwise. Do point and shoots generally get warm when used?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 18, 2009
    If you use the lcd a lot and never rest the camera it can get warm, but if there is smoke or even the smell of smoke I would be concerned. I would especially check the battery to make sure it's not getting too warm. If the battery is getting hot I would definitely get another battery. A battery can burn violently or even explode in the worst case scenario. If the camera itself is smoking I would discontinue using it.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    Not familiar with the camera..but I can tell you it should not be smoking or getting hot in the hand..warm maybe, if flashing quickly, or just taking alot of shots.
    Has she recently replaced the battery?
    Check to see that its not the battery that getting hot, remove it and if it is painful to hold, try replacing it.
    For safty reasons I would not use a camera in that condition, remember wheres theres smoke there may be fire...
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you use the lcd a lot and never rest the camera it can get warm, but if there is smoke or even the smell of smoke I would be concerned. I would especially check the battery to make sure it's not getting too warm. If the battery is getting hot I would definitely get another battery. A battery can burn violently or even explode in the worst case scenario. If the camera itself is smoking I would discontinue using it.

Darn Ziggy you type faster than me..
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com