Sunbeams - Gifford Pinchot National Forest WA

shadesshades Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited December 25, 2009 in Landscapes
I thought I'd share this picture. I have not seen too many like this on the forum lately. This was taken a few weeks ago in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest along the Lewis River.

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed.

723437385_AaR6z-XL.jpg
This is my Nikon. There are many like it but, this one is mine.

Bart Williams
Oregon

http://nwprophoto.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Gotta love the GPNF. Is an incredible place.
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    It's pretty but I find the fence and stump in the lower portion of the photo distracting. I bet you could have found a "cleaner" shot and even better-- a shot with this light that included the river would have been really great.

Unfortunately I know that area very well so I know there's more potential here than it seems!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• alexfalexf Registered Users Posts: 436 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Beautiful shot!
    AlexFeldsteinPhotography.com
    Nikon D700, D300, D80 and assorted glass, old and new.
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Fantastic shot, Bart. Yes- the shot would be better without the rails and such butim ok with it as is. I think you did a great job of a balanced exposure. I really love how you have managed to keep the misty/foggy mood of the forest at far right.
  • shadesshades Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    Thank you for your opinions and comments. I actually wanted the fence in the shot. I like it but that's my opinion. If I am lucky enough to get this kind of light in this area again, I'll see if I can get the river in the shot too. There are a lot of trees near the river and it is real steep near the water. There is no clear shot looking down river from this height and location that I saw. It had just rained and you could not get down to water level. I have only been to this location twice and look forward to going back there many times to explore better shots and locations.
    This is my Nikon. There are many like it but, this one is mine.

Bart Williams
    Oregon

http://nwprophoto.smugmug.com/
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    shades wrote:
    There are a lot of trees near the river and it is real steep near the water. There is no clear shot looking down river from this height and location that I saw.

Keep exploring (though it's likely snowed in right now). There are campgrounds and other spots right on the river once you know where to look. Some pretty cool waterfalls in that area too!

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    shades wrote:
    Thank you for your opinions and comments. I actually wanted the fence in the shot. I like it but that's my opinion. If I am lucky enough to get this kind of light in this area again, I'll see if I can get the river in the shot too. There are a lot of trees near the river and it is real steep near the water. There is no clear shot looking down river from this height and location that I saw. It had just rained and you could not get down to water level. I have only been to this location twice and look forward to going back there many times to explore better shots and locations.

I also like the fence, path, and stumps in the shot. They add a bit of texture and interesting detail to a shot that otherwise would be a little too abstract, with nothing but trees and light beams.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    What a gorgeous shot. I kind of like the fence.
  • Phil TompsonPhil Tompson Banned Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    That is an awsome shot. I love it!!!clap.gif
  • nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Love the fence!!!
    Totally makes the shot IMO. Would be boring without it.
  • BMW KurtBMW Kurt Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    WillCAD wrote:
    I also like the fence, path, and stumps in the shot. They add a bit of texture and interesting detail to a shot that otherwise would be a little too abstract, with nothing but trees and light beams.

+1
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Bart, that's a keeper. You hit the exposure just right.

I like the fence because it fills a void that the worn pathways would have left. The horizontal lines are interesting somehow.
    The stump, OTOH, I'm not fond of--just sticks out like a stump. But I'd rather have it there than not have the shot at all.

Nice work.

M
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Gorgeous...fence, stump and all! thumb.gif
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    +1 on the fence looking good in the composition. Adds just enough complexity to the image to have a wide range of feelings/topics. Love how the lines move your eyes along the image.

This shot could find its way into fine art and Top Shelf Stock.

Love it. bowdown.gif
    --Kres
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I love the fence, too. It is on the warm, bright half of the image that implies that I'm finally coming out of the dark woods, almost home.

bowdown.gif
  • moontanmoontan Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    I think the shot has so much going for it, in terms of exposure, lighting, and composition. I only wish I could have been there with you that day. Wait...I WAS there with you that day! Let's go back soon, pal.
    Bob Streicher
    Hillsboro, OR

http://moonlighting.smugmug.com