SuperWides...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited January 21, 2010 in Cameras
In another quandry again..... Superwides.

Thoughts/opinions on the following?

Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 ($479)
Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 ($599)
Nikon 10-24 f/3.5 ($789)

Part of my decision making usually involves a search on Flickr and see what pops up in the search slideshow. Based on that unscientific approach, I tend to like the shots presented from the Sigma and Nikon.

I'm using a Nikon D90 body and don't have a specific need/use other than they look fun.

Comment appreciated!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    My choice would be the Sigma or the Nikon......I have been using Sigmas for over 25+ years and well Nikon just makes good glass forthose that can't handle a 2nd party manufacturer:D:D:D
    no idea about tokina or tamron.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    I've been trying to decide this for myself (and posted http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=153498 a few days ago). For me, I think I've decided on the Sigma. Based on many reviews, comments, and pictures - it looks like the best price for performance choice, and has a lot of happy owners.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    The Sigma is a GREAT lens and holds up very well -- good resale on it if you don't like it, as there are always others looking for one :) I MISS mine, but going FF I decided to give it up.
    //Leah
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    the tokina is optically the best out of all these. Plus it work on full frame at 15-16 mm if you ever upgrade.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    I shoot with a D90 as well. I was also recently trying to make the same decision. I had borrowed the Nikon 14-24MM f2.8 lens from a friend. After using that I decided I had to buy a Nikon lens for the picture quality. I have owned mostly Tamrons until now. I went for the older 12-24MM f4 lens that I found used on Adorama.com for $699. I got it this week and am very happy. Its a little better build quality that the 10-24, and you get the constant f4. But you do lose 2MM at the wide end.
  • dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2009
    I just went through the same decision making process. I ended up with the Tokina 11-16mm. :LINK:

Why?
    1. Price Point
    2. 2.8
    3. Reputation
    4. images found here and flickr

Here's the rub though, I made up my mind in the summer and it was on back order until just a few weeks ago. There is a local shop near you that has them in stock now, but $100 bucks more than B&H does. I haven't figured out if they just make so few of them at a time, or if it is just that popular of a lens, that makes them so hard to find.

Good luck in making a decision.
    Duke
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Well, Santa (aka: Mrs. M38A1) said "order one!"

The Sigma 10-20 f/4 should be here Thursday in the BBT (BigBrownTruck) clap.gif
    I went with the Sigma because I didn't feel the need for a fast lens and associated shallow DOF with the superwide characteristics. It'll be a tripod lens as my best guess.

Thanks for all the input!

edited December 27, 2009
    Question or two.....

I now have the Sigma 10-20 F/4-5.6 EX DC and from the first few shots, am not sure it's a good lens or purchase. For that matter, maybe I'm not giving it a fair shake yet, but here's what I've got.

D90, 10mm, F/6.3, 1/13, ISO 200, no edits other than resize
    09Christmas038_sm.jpg
    Skip the critique on lighting, composition etc as this was just out of the box and on to the camera. But I'm amazed at how much 'curve' there is on the right and left side. I was thinking these could keep the vertical lines fairly straight and not to the degree of curve shown.

D90, 14mm, F/8, 1/60, ISO 200, no edits other than resize
    09Christmas075_sm.jpg
    I'm suprised how much this has taken on a 'fisheye' look, whereas some of the other shots I've seen with different lenses still have straight walls on the edges. And this is at 14mm, almost in the middle.

So..... what do you think? Is there some other type of shot which can better show the characteristics of this glass? I'll say I'm a bit disappointed already. Is there a condition this is called?

Edit to add:
    OK, I just went out and shot a few quick pics outside and at a greater distance. I'm thinking the distortion is a result of subjects being really close and it's highlighted the closer they are to the lens. House shots from across the street look pretty good, but I still see some 'curve' towards the edges. Does this appear normal for this type of lens?
    D90, 10mm, F/9, 1/100, ISO 200, no edits other than resize
    09Christmas104_sm.jpg

Thanks-

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 27, 2009
    As you have discovered, a super-wide zoom takes some getting used to and learning how to use the lens and process the images is a part of that process.

The Sigma 10-20mm, f4-f5.6 EX DC HSM isn't perfect but isn't bad at all. Yes, there is a bit of curvilinear distortion and yes, it is more pronounced near the edges. All lenses are compromises in design and the Sigma has a moderate level of compromise in that regard. I find it rather easy to accommodate in post-processing if it is too evident in the scene.

PhotoZone.de rates the Sigma at around TV Distortion = 1.35% @ 10mm, and it rates the Nikkor AF-S DX 10-24mm, f3.5-4.5G ED at TV Distortion = 3.1% @ 10mm, so the Sigma has less than half the barrel distortion of the Nikkor. Are you still thinking that the Sigma is that bad? mwink.gif

I use that Sigma super-wide lens in my kit and I have no plans on replacing it. I find it very suitable for my needs.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • skysailorskysailor Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    I just pulled the trigger on the Sigma 10-20 as well. This lens is 750$ CDN up here, and I was able to find a new one south of the Border (USA, that is) for just over 400$ USD. Add the 7% exchange on our dollar, then subtract the 15% tax I'd have to pay on it here, and it adds up to theft!
    Got a complete "kit" now. No more shopping for me for a while. Well, Okay maybe a 50 f1.8 prime....but they're almost free....
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
    edited December 29, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Are you still thinking that the Sigma is that bad? mwink.gif

I use that Sigma super-wide lens in my kit and I have no plans on replacing it. I find it very suitable for my needs.

Thanks for the reply!

I went out and shot it Sunday and came to a couple realizations. First, anything other then a perfect x/y axis focus in relationship to the subject starts giving it the 'superwide qualities'. I was playing around in the corner of a tall building and simply looking through the viewfinder while moving the camera up and down the side of the building. WOWZER! What an effect you can have from one extreme to another.
    751923117_4cTo6-M.jpg

Second, this is going to take some getting used to in order to figure out the desired effect I want to portray.

I think I'll be keeping this one... thumb.gif

• aaronbrownaaronbrown Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I don't know about the Nikon, but I just pulled the trigger on the Canon 10-22. I test-drove the Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6 and the newer Sigma 10-20 f/3.5. They're both very nice and I almost went with the Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 for the speed but ended up sticking with the Canon after researching MANY reviews / articles.
  • yummy_wafflesyummy_waffles Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Qarik wrote:
    the tokina is optically the best out of all these. Plus it work on full frame at 15-16 mm if you ever upgrade.

+1 One of my favs :D
    edited January 2, 2010
    +1 One of my favs :D

Yummy_waffles, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Feel free to post examples if you wish.
    ziggy53
    edited January 18, 2010
    My brand new Sigma 10-20 f4.5 arrived on the doorstep today. First impressions....this thing is W-I-D-E. Should have the DOF to keep an entire wiener dog in focus.thumb.gif Can't wait to get near some tall buildings! Might even post a couple.....if I get brave.
    Lyle
    Gear: D200, G9, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikkor 35 f/1.8, Vivitar Series 1 28-105 f/2.8-3.8, Sigma 18-200 f/3.5-6.3
    edited January 18, 2010
    skysailor wrote:
    My brand new Sigma 10-20 f4.5 arrived on the doorstep today. First impressions....this thing is W-I-D-E. Should have the DOF to keep an entire wiener dog in focus.thumb.gif Can't wait to get near some tall buildings! Might even post a couple.....if I get brave.
    Lyle

Congratulations and I look forward to some image examples from your new lens. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Qarik wrote:

Good Evening,
    The 10-22mm will also work on a ff camera as well. Here is a shot at (actual) 12mm taken with my 5D. I'm looking forward to getting another 5D in the next few days thumb.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2010
    Honestly...I have the 10-22 canon and it takes some practice to make it work. There are some way cool creative snaps to a WA that I have discovered...but it has been a tough lens for me. Be ready!
    Growing with Dgrin

edited January 21, 2010
    leaforte wrote:
    Honestly...I have the 10-22 canon and it takes some practice to make it work. There are some way cool creative snaps to a WA that I have discovered...but it has been a tough lens for me. Be ready!
    Maybe you have a bad copy ne_nau.gif
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    edited January 21, 2010
    I love what these super wides do to buildings. Can't wait to hit Vegas on a sunny day.
    Lyle
    edited January 21, 2010
    Good Evening,
    I like the 10-22mm on my 5D simply because it's true ultra wide. Most of my interior shots are taken btwn 12 & 15mm. When I used that lens on my 40D, it wasn't quite wide enough to get an entire room in one shot and have the ability to crop it slightly. The 5D solved that problem thumb.gif
    Have a good evening folks :D
    Jim...