Snowy day

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited December 30, 2009 in People
And HOW is it snowy! It looks pretty, but has wreaked havoc in the region, including cancelling a performance I was scheduled to sing tonight (which stinks since weather counts as "force majeure" so I won't get paid :cry :bash). I'm jus tso relieved with made it home from last night's performance :whew- the roads were terrifying, as (typically), they didn't manage to get the salt down in time. Saw WAY too many people spinning out on the freeway, and nearly joined them a couple of times :wow

However, never one to miss the opportunity to grab the camera.... :D Nuttin' special, really, but I was experimenting with a new LR preset which was fun. Hardest part was keeping the camera from getting too wet even though I was under cover on the porch, and the consequential blurring from all the moisture in the air!

The 135 proved once again that it does everything better than any other lens, under all circusmtances at all times. This was 1/125. On a crop camera. With no IS. Clearly the magic dust was at work for this first one (the 2nd shows a touch of motion blur, but even so - not bad considering the stats!)

744937359_js25x-L.jpg

744937379_6kska-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Not digging these Diva, sorry. The treatment is making the skin that was so milky in the high-key just look dirty here.

Ditto on the 135, it is a wonderful piece of glass.

Keep safe and warm up there.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Yeah, fair enough. I like the kinda vintage-y look it brings, but I think that's more because the actions are a new trainset rather than because it's actually any good as used here rolleyes1.gif I've done a few other treatments of this shot since last night (stuck at home in snow + gig cancelled :cry = download lots of actions and presets juts for fun :D). Thanks for the response - I figured that after noting quite a few viewings and no replies that nobody liked it rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Here are a couple of other versions: "normal", and then using MissB's gradient map technique - still not a great picture, although there's still something about it I like... I just can't figure out what "it" is!!

Basic
    745466453_dytRr-S.jpg

reddish gradient map+soft-light blend
    745466533_dRkEX-S.jpg

Just been out attempting to sled (snow too soft - not a chance!) so I may contribute to what will no doubt be oodles of "snow, 2009" pictures which will be appearing all over the net in the next couple of days! mwink.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    I've gotta agree with Andrew on these. I much prefer your second two to the first two. Snowy pics should be bright and clean, IMO. I think the last one you posted is nicely vintage looking.
    I must say, your description of the 135 is about making me weep! Hehe... Maybe in 2010?!
    I'm sorry to hear about all the trouble the snow is causing. We had that sort of trouble last year at this time. I do wish we could take a few inches off your hands! Stay warm and safe!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited December 20, 2009
    Thanks Elaine - yeah, I may be hardheaded, but I know when I'm beaten. First treatment will (except for here) stay under wraps in my "experimental" folder rolleyes1.gif

And if you are even thinking about the 135, do it. Save up for it, sell an arm, leg or child but... do it. You'll love it. :D

And moving right along (can you tell I'm getting stir crazy?!)....

This shot below probably has to go into my "almost a home run" file, but I love the expression and light so much that I figured I'd post it anyway :D So close... and yet so far. IF daddy's leg weren't in the picture behind her. IF the snow blob weren't there. IF she'd been leaning forward enough so that the deck rail didn't show. If if if. Sadly as soon as I tried to position them to fix those things, we lost the light. C'est la vie!

Barely any processing at all on this one, in contrast to the first (and despis-ed) set rolleyes1.gif

745669487_84gyE-L.jpg
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Sorry to add my name to the list, but I've seen much better from you, Diva. I like the last one you posted the most.
    divamum wrote:
    And if you are even thinking about the 135, do it. Save up for it, sell an arm, leg or child but... do it. You'll love it. :D
    It's next on my wish list. I've shot a few times with it..... Yuuhhh-hhuummmm iloveyou.gif

PS. how many different types of folders do you have? lol3.gif
    edited December 20, 2009
    ivar wrote:
    PS. how many different types of folders do you have? lol3.gif
    rolleyes1.gif

Turn of phrase rather than literal! (note to self: proofread posts more carefully to avoid repetition lol3.gif)

You know what's kinda cool? A year ago I would have been THRILLED to take these, which (except for the light in that last one) I now think of as pretty mediocre shots. I'm getting a little buzz out of everybody commenting that I've posted better rolleyes1.gif

Ok, seriously, the snow is turning me completely doolally. I'll shut up now!

::slinks back to cup of tea and hopes that the temps warm up enough tomorrow to make shovelling the car a little easier::
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks Elaine - yeah, I may be hardheaded, but I know when I'm beaten. First treatment will (except for here) stay under wraps in my "experimental" folder rolleyes1.gif

This shot below probably has to go into my "almost a home run" file, but I love the expression and light so much that I figured I'd post it anyway :D So close... and yet so far. IF daddy's leg weren't in the picture behind her. IF the snow blob weren't there. IF she'd been leaning forward enough so that the deck rail didn't show. If if if. Sadly as soon as I tried to position them to fix those things, we lost the light. C'est la vie!

Barely any processing at all on this one, in contrast to the first (and despis-ed) set rolleyes1.gif

745669487_84gyE-L.jpg

This is a nice shot of your girl. How about cropping out the left 10% to get rid of the rail and the bottom 25% to get rid of the snow blob? Then you can decide if it is worth stamping out the leg in the background.

Hope the weather improves for you!
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    agreed with the rest of them, but we're allowed to have off days, right? :D I had a hard time today playing with processing styles and snow, I thought i'd have a lot to choose from but it is more difficult than I thought.

htr6 bnhg kio8908iui8 hhy7ju787u7ii8 mhjm,ik9lilkoko99o kikikk jjhjhjh juyui8768m m

(my kid took over as I went to get the cookies out of the oven. Thought it was funny so I left it for ya, he he)
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:

htr6 bnhg kio8908iui8 hhy7ju787u7ii8 mhjm,ik9lilkoko99o kikikk jjhjhjh juyui8768m m

(my kid took over as I went to get the cookies out of the oven. Thought it was funny so I left it for ya, he he)

That's her way of saying, I like the third one best (perhaps cropped)....
    Me: Ditto....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I do prefer the last one over the rest... I have to agree with the rest.. you are way better than these...get back to work!!! iloveyou.gif
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Hey Diva! Love to see the snow pictures. So happy all the kids have been able to do some good cold play. I like the redish gradient. Also agree with the others that the vintage feel in the "cold" setting really drabs the photo. I like her lips in the red gradient! Warms it up and adds some nice color to the otherwise frigid shot. I LOVE her eyes in the repost. The translucency and color is gorgeous!:D
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2009
    divamum wrote:

745669487_84gyE-L.jpg

I have to agree with Rainbow. Crop out the post on the left, and this could be a wall hanger. Which lens did you use for this one?

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams