Pushing my Style a bit - Jack's Snow Day

kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
edited December 21, 2009 in People
I'm working on my filling out my portrait styles. I have always tended to prefer a more realistic / representative processing for my "people shots." However I'm really bored with that, and am edging outside of my box a bit. Studying / groking on where I would want to go by looking at other peoples work has helped a lot, and I think I'm onto something here.

745150529_Lmxwd-L.jpg

745198508_ce8kQ-L.jpg

Whaddya think?
--Kres

Comments

• CaspianCaspian Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    I like them both. The first one really holds my attention. The eyes are sharp and the shallow DOF draws attention to the face. What are you doing besides getting in close? Anything in post processing? I also use Nikons, what is the camera and lens information?
    Thanks,
    David
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    LOVE that first one!
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Caspian wrote:
    I like them both. The first one really holds my attention. The eyes are sharp and the shallow DOF draws attention to the face. What are you doing besides getting in close? Anything in post processing? I also use Nikons, what is the camera and lens information?
    Thanks,
    David
    Thanks David -

It was taken with a D200 and a 50mm 1.8. ISO200/60/4.0

I pushed the exposure a little under a full stop during the shoot to comp the snow, and then bumped it up a bit more from RAW.

(For me this means clicking the slider up and listening to my inner voice screaming "Blasphemy!" while the counter chorus chants "Change is good! Change is good!")

From there I use an unsharp mask to pop the eyes. After that it's alot of burning and dodging with an obsessive amount of sat and hue fiddling. However, based on Miss B's Gradient map tick (See "pop-a-red" thread in this forum) I think I can get a more intense effect in a shorter time.
    --Kres
    edited December 20, 2009
    LOVE that first one!

Thanks Darren.

I'm finding that photog's are liking the 1st one better and family is enjoying the second one better... Intresting. (To me at least :D)
    --Kres
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Actually, I'm a vote for #2 - LOVE the eyes. In the first one, it took me a second to look past the softness created by the falling snow and see those lovely sharp eyes.

When you say "more realistic /representative" style in the past - do you mean less processing, or more aggresive processing or...? Just curious what you're moving from :D
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Cute photos! His eyes pop in both of them thumb.giflust
  • Kathy RayKathy Ray Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    edited December 20, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Actually, I'm a vote for #2 - LOVE the eyes. In the first one, it took me a second to look past the softness created by the falling snow and see those lovely sharp eyes.

When you say "more realistic /representative" style in the past - do you mean less processing, or more aggresive processing or...? Just curious what you're moving from :D
    I learned and stayed for a long while with a black and white photojournalism phase. Almost all of my darkroom and camera handling comes from there. Folks I did shots for had very little tolerance for dramatic interpretation. So if I wanted a shot to convey more then "just the facts" I had to rely on tricks of natural lighting.

Picking up digital years ago, I was aware of what could be done, but it seemed so misleading (for lack of a better word) to do it to my chained and fettered mind.

Well, from exposure ignorance wilts, and even though I've let my manipulation of the "shot" and composition get more daring (for me) I started force feeding myself on styles left of center with processing. I expect to produce some fantastically painful stuff over the next year, but hopefully I can temper into the style that a little voice in my head is telling me is within my reach.

So, I'm exploring the brave new world of blowing out shots, tweaking / changing the lighting as I see fit and (gasp!) manipulating details of the subject/object to present a purpose other then graphic record of the exact point in time.

Old Dog meet new tricks. :D

Thanks for all the comments folks! Oh, and in general, feel free to nit-pick. C&C is welcome and invited.
    --Kres
    edited December 20, 2009
    As an example... this is closer to the way I'd naturally process a shot

745570282_BVqws-L.jpg
    --Kres
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    Out of the three posted, I prefer the first two actually. Very nice, love the eyes in them thumb.gif
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    The first one is my favorite. Very cool. thumb.gif
  • l.k.madisonl.k.madison Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    As a parent, I like the first one best, him chewing on his coat just brings out a hint of a playful personality.

As a photog, I like the second one the best, I just can't help but stare at those eyes!!

If it wasn't so close to Christmas, I'd say you should put that on your Christmas card!!

They're both amazing!!

Oh, if only we had enough snow for that every year. *sigh*
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    WOW, you nailed these. He is adorable. Love the eyes and the coat in the mouth. What a cutie!!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Joe DukovacJoe Dukovac Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I also a vote for number 2. I love that closeup. It's not to say that the other two that are posted aren't good, they are very nice, but I just love the closeup in #2. Nice job!

Joe
    Joe
    North View Studio
    http://www.zoradphotography.com
    Montreal, Canada
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    kres wrote:
    I learned and stayed for a long while with a black and white photojournalism phase. Almost all of my darkroom and camera handling comes from there. Folks I did shots for had very little tolerance for dramatic interpretation. So if I wanted a shot to convey more then "just the facts" I had to rely on tricks of natural lighting.

Picking up digital years ago, I was aware of what could be done, but it seemed so misleading (for lack of a better word) to do it to my chained and fettered mind.

Well, from exposure ignorance wilts, and even though I've let my manipulation of the "shot" and composition get more daring (for me) I started force feeding myself on styles left of center with processing. I expect to produce some fantastically painful stuff over the next year, but hopefully I can temper into the style that a little voice in my head is telling me is within my reach.

So, I'm exploring the brave new world of blowing out shots, tweaking / changing the lighting as I see fit and (gasp!) manipulating details of the subject/object to present a purpose other then graphic record of the exact point in time.

Old Dog meet new tricks. :D

Thanks for all the comments folks! Oh, and in general, feel free to nit-pick. C&C is welcome and invited.

What a wonderfully expressed response! (Btw, I hope you do read the Street/PJ forum here at digrin as well? Quite a few similar "old dogs" experimienting with new tricks AND traditional film-styles frequent that part of the site, and I think you may find it interesting if you haven't already checked it out thumb.gif)

It's interesting, because my background is exactly the opposite of yours. Yes, I shot film once upon a time (even did a little bit of my own self-taught bw developing for a while), but never had ENOUGH film to burn to quite find my feet and nail the technical side of things (which, I'll be honest, is still my weak point, although it's improving all the time largely thanks to this place!). Digital has allowed me to take a lot (and I mean a LOT) of frames without breaking the bank, and instant feedback on the lcd screen has been another wonderful teacher. So many pennies have dropped in the last year that it's a miracle my brain doesn't clink when I walk!

The ability to process at the computer instead of a fume-filled darkroom just adds to the fun for me and, although I will happily mess around for hours with overblown processing just to experiment and figure out *how* to do it, in actuality I really prefer post-production to be used to bring out what's already there rather than assert itself too strongly or alter reality to the point where it's no longer recognizable (recent snow shots notwithstanding - as stated in that thread, it was an experiment!!! rolleyes1.gif)

Enjoy the new approach (and come back and share more shots thumb.gif)!