Options

DSS 40 Tragedy or Comedy?

WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
edited December 21, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I went looking for tragedy and found it, but also this more ambiguous story.

Color or B&W, lighter or darker?

745235323_rbUdp-L.jpg

745582526_wREFx-L.jpg

745582684_sYRa6-L.jpg

745582603_NerQF-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ASkipASkip Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    I went looking for tragedy and found it, but also this more ambiguous story.

Color or B&W, lighter or darker?

I think I like #3 (B/w) best. Is that a stone for a person? or an owl? or a chicken? If it's a baby that died on christmas eve, that is really tragic.
    This theme is bumming me out before the holidays. Can the next one be like hope or something?

Anna
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    Thanks for the comment, Anna!

I have the same questions that you do. I found this stone in a local cemetery with others that are definitely human. I am still puzzling over it.
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    It's an interesting image. Could be very tragic if it is, in fact, a child. My initial reaction to the image was neither tragedy or comedy though. I had to read the stone, look at the bird, and then spend a little time trying to see which it was. I'm not sure whether that will be good or bad in the judging and voting.

None of the 4 pp treatments give me an indication of which it is either. Although the black and white seem to lean a little more toward the tragic side. As always, it's just my opinion.
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2009
    It seems that this is both comedy (gravestone for a chicken...killed by an owl perhaps?) or tragedy (a child on Cristmas Eve). Not sure how to look at it.

I think the answer for us and perhaps the judges is whether you use color (suggesting comedy) or B&W (suggesting a darker theme.)

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2009
    Whether chicken or child, somebody cared enough to bury her and buy a burial plot and a gravestone. That speaks to tragedy to me.

I have been doing some searches and found that there are indeed people with a family name of Chicken. Based on the date of death, this would still be a raw loss for the family. So I am withdrawing this entry. I'll find something else.

The ambiguity is what drew me to this photo.
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:
    Whether chicken or child, somebody cared enough to bury her and buy a burial plot and a gravestone. That speaks to tragedy to me.

I have been doing some searches and found that there are indeed people with a family name of Chicken. Based on the date of death, this would still be a raw loss for the family. So I am withdrawing this entry. I'll find something else.

I liked your entry last night ... it has a kind of dark comic, created by the ambiguity you are talking about...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    WhatSheSaw wrote:

You know, when I looked at this and saw the dates I was only using them to see how old the child or animal was. I didn't really think about how recent it is.