A few kids and testing a watermark

metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited January 4, 2010 in People
My niece and nephew had a couple friends over to stay the night on Saturday, so I snapped a few pictures. I love photographing kids.

I downloaded LR/Mogrify, so I was experimenting with borders and a watermark on these. I have a few different incarnations of this watermark. I'm still up in the air of what I want my domain to be and how that would correspond with my watermark. C&C on photos and watermark appreciated.

745252056_Y8MPH-L.jpg

745261400_iexNG-L.jpg

745268130_7iFqt-L.jpg

745278011_gLqwU-L.jpg

745270357_iameq-L.jpg

Comments

• PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Nice captures clap.gif

The water mark is a little big for my taste.

Take Care,
    Charles
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Check the WB in that first one - looks a little red - and in the last one it seems the focus caught her fingers instead of her eyes. Those are nits, however - you caught great expressions from all of them! thumb.gif

I checked out Mogrify which looks like a great program, but couldn't get it to run properly even with the Imagemagick patch etc installed. What system are you running? (I'm on a Win vista 32 pc).
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Check the WB in that first one - looks a little red - and in the last one it seems the focus caught her fingers instead of her eyes. Those are nits, however - you caught great expressions from all of them! thumb.gif

I checked out Mogrify which looks like a great program, but couldn't get it to run properly even with the Imagemagick patch etc installed. What system are you running? (I'm on a Win vista 32 pc).

MET, really sweet shots. The first one is a bit too magenta, through.

Diva, through LR2, I've only had issues with the 'you need to exit export and come back in' when I change some mogrify settings. I've been successful with 64-bit Vista and 64-bit Win7.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited December 21, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:

Diva, through LR2, I've only had issues with the 'you need to exit export and come back in' when I change some mogrify settings. I've been successful with 64-bit Vista and 64-bit Win7.

That's exactly what it does, but then it won't work when I come back in. I gave up and uninstalled it :(
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I love #2!!!

Sam
    edited December 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    That's exactly what it does, but then it won't work when I come back in. I gave up and uninstalled it :(

Did you try email Timothy Ames about the plugin?
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Check the WB in that first one - looks a little red - and in the last one it seems the focus caught her fingers instead of her eyes.
    adbsgicom wrote:

Thanks for the honest feedback. When I went back after I processed them and looked again, I was thinking the same thing. I'll make a few adjustments on it when I get home tonight and post a revised version.
    edited December 21, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    I love #2!!!

Sam
    Thanks!
    edited December 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I'm running XP on my Dell XPS laptop that's about 4 years old. I'm not sure if it is 32-bit or 64-bit. I'll have to check it when I get home. I ran into a couple little snags trying to use it, but as Andrew said it is usually when I try to change a Mogrify option after I have some others selected. When I've just canceled and reexported everything was still all there and it worked fine.
    edited December 22, 2009
    Ok, here are 2 different versions of the first one. I wasn't sure if I took my second attempt far enough in removing the redness. But then when I did one step farther it seemed slightly too blue.

Which do you guys prefer?

A.
    747021460_52R7S-L.jpg

B.
    747030384_t2Zv2-L.jpg
    edited December 22, 2009
    I think I prefer B headscratch.gif

I still can't get mogrify to work. I tried again since y'all seemed to find it was ok, but now it just says "can't mogrify - aborting export". I'm not sure I need borders and watermarks in LR enough to mess around with it, although if anybody stumbles on a fix for this particular issue, by all means share! thumb.gif
  • kidzmomkidzmom Registered Users Posts: 828 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    The colors are GREAT on these. Nice processing! Did you do much? Up the saturation? Nice. I like the watermark. I've been playing with one myself (it is a preset) but for PSE. It automatically sharpens, resizes and adds border, drop shadow or rounded edges (of your choice). I love that it is a few clicks and it is done...perfect for web uploading (to a blog etc).
    edited January 4, 2010
    kidzmom wrote:
    The colors are GREAT on these. Nice processing! Did you do much? Up the saturation?
    Thanks. I didn't really up the saturation. I can't remember what exactly I made some adjustments on, I think a few on the shadows and hues. Then I just made a preset in Lightroom that I've ended up using quite a bit.

Here's a some from this past Saturday that I took at our family dinner. I've really been focusing on using both my camera and SB600 on full manual. I used the same preset as the others with a few minor adjustments to tweak each photo. C&C are appreciated.

1. I needed to take the fill light slider back just a smidge more on this one. I didn't really see how soft her eyes looked because of that until I saw a larger version.
    756407327_TuJrN-L.jpg

2. I wish I had hit the focus right on her face versus on his, but I thought it was still sweet.
    756416079_Zqb26-L.jpg

756418514_HYUt7-L.jpg

756418933_ML82b-L.jpg

5. London Bridge turns into a dogpile.
    756419631_REpzS-L.jpg

756420951_AuYxM-L.jpg

7. I'm personally not a fan of kids playing video games this young, but I thought they looked so cute and serious playing together.
    756556759_tsqZ2-L.jpg
    edited January 4, 2010
    I really like these, 2/4/5 in particular.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site