Paranormal flare

invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
edited December 22, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
No artificial flare added :)

1. Most of the flare that can be seen here I didn't see through the viewfinder...
p312847007-4.jpg

2. ...and I didn't see ANY flare on the viewfinder at all when I shot this one...
p71747498-4.jpg

Weird things happen when you shoot in haunted houses ;)
I steal the soul of inanimate things.

Federico
Website / Flickr

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Wow...and I'm going to bed an just alittle while :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    #1 is kinda cool....
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I'm not an expert on this stuff, but wouldn't the fact that the light is bounced off a mirror and twisted through a pentaprism inside the camera, tend to reduce the amount of flare you see in the viewfinder vs the amount of flare that actually reaches the sensor? Do the mirror and eyepiece have anti-glare coatings? How does the prism itself affect lens flare as the light passes through?

I have always noticed far less flare in my viewfinder than I see in the finished shot; I guess I just never thought about these questions before...
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Forgot to add that if the same anomaly appears in multiple photos and it looks the same each time, then it's something you're doing, which can be something as simple as capturing light refraction. ne_nau.gif Been there, done that. rolleyes1.gif

Some years ago when I was in Gettysburg I photographed something very unusual through a window. I thought it may have been something paranormal and didn't have my reading glasses with me so I asked a friend of mine to take a closer look at through the preview. She told me whatever is was had "Olympus" written on it. rolleyes1.gif It was nothing more than a reflection of my lens.
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Thanks Mary, Linda and Will for your comments. I don't really believe in the paranormal :) I just found it interesting that I saw no flare at all through the viewfinder when shooting #2. Zero. But as soon as I reviewed the capture in the LCD screen, I couldn't believe the explosion of lights. The photographer that was with me told me to clean the filter... but there were just a couple of dust specks there, nothing else. This was obviously just the result of some optical phenomenon.

In #1, on the other hand, I did try to capture flare and moved around until I saw enough of it through the viewfinder. What I never expected was that burst of greenish "beams", I found that very cool.

Federico
    Website / Flickr
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 22, 2009
  • invisibleinvisible Registered Users Posts: 440 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Angelo wrote:
    what are you shooting?
    Nikon D300 with Tokina 11-16mm (and a B+W F-Pro UV filter).

Federico
    Website / Flickr