First time doing HDR

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited December 22, 2009 in Landscapes
I just bracket, import to photomatix and hit "process." I'm not too enthused about any of them but thought I'd share regardless since it's fun to try new things :)

I have done a 5 shot bracket + 0.7. If anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it. I am trying to avoid the over-saturated look.
San Francisco

745513404_ozYwo-L.jpg

745512580_eXWgQ-L.jpg

745511643_FhRJn-L.jpg

745511913_ahxix-L.jpg

and some pics from France

727871871_oUcSL-L.jpg

727650984_5Lgb2-L.jpg

727651120_oHEFu-L.jpg

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    A really nice set of NOT 'overblown.cooked' HDR's thumb.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gif

My favorite is the last one!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    HDR's intrigue me - might try my hand at them soon.

So, here is an observation: Do many of these look "out of sync" or is it me? Example: Look at the #1, doesn't it look as though the bridge is not perfectly in line with all it's layers?

Counterpoint: The composition and broad color capture is really great, You've got a nack for getting sweet skies!
    --Kres
    edited December 21, 2009
    kres wrote:
    HDR's intrigue me - might try my hand at them soon.

So, here is an observation: Do many of these look "out of sync" or is it me? Example: Look at the #1, doesn't it look as though the bridge is not perfectly in line with all it's layers?

Counterpoint: The composition and broad color capture is really great, You've got a nack for getting sweet skies!
    Now that kres mentions it, I see ghosting on the back end of the bridge and on the church tower.

What software did you use?

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I don't have any problems with HDR as long as saturation is kept within reasonable bounds. Rookie, I think these are just great! Especially shots #2 and #4 which are rich in contrast and lighting.
    thumb.gif
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    DonRicklin wrote:
    Now that kres mentions it, I see ghosting on the back end of the bridge and on the church tower.

What software did you use?

Don

These were handheld so it's possible some camera shake occurred, which I think is why the first shot looks a bit mismatched.

I am using Photomatix Pro 3 to do the conversion.
    edited December 22, 2009
    These were handheld so it's possible some camera shake occurred, which I think is why the first shot looks a bit mismatched.

It should still do better than that on the ghosting!

Don
  • mtullymtully Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Rookie,

Great series! The last shot is just about perfect. On the first shot - run the exposures through Photomatix again. If the mis-match occurs again, then change the method by which it does the alignment. It should do best in this situation by pushing the "by matching features" button under Align Source Images.
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    mtully wrote:
    Rookie,

Great series! The last shot is just about perfect. On the first shot - run the exposures through Photomatix again. If the mis-match occurs again, then change the method by which it does the alignment. It should do best in this situation by pushing the "by matching features" button under Align Source Images.

Thanks. I tried running it again but it is still misaligned. I'll have to bring a tripod next time.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009

if the images aren't lined up correctly, it's very hard to eliminate the ghosting effect. the "match features" function in Photomatix helps, and can get rid of minor misalignent and ghosting, but it looks in the first image like there was some pretty significant camera movement, more than the software could fix. the only way to ensure good HDR images is to shoot from a tripod. you can sometimes fake it, using photoshop levels to create artificially over- and under-exposed versions of the image, but that never works as well.

i really like the last two images... quite nicely done!
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com