Need 2nd computer: Laptop

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited December 21, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I am looking at getting a 2nd computer....no go mac answers allowed.........

Looking on specific answers to:

1-Is Dell outlet a good place for good deals on Laptops?

2-Are Dell Refurbed Laptops reliable and trustworthy?

3- Any where else I should look at refurbed units??
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I've gotten a number of non-laptops (servers) from Dell the refurb/return outlet with no more problems then the brand new Dell's I've bought. I know a number of people who have purchased high end workstation laptops there and likewise had no problems.

Support-wise they seems to be the same as regular Dell, but I always buy the extra 3 year on-site support contract... I've only had one (of a dozen or more systems) that didn't need an on-site fix... but it's 3 years isn't up yet. BTW their next-day on site has always really been the next day for me. I wouldn't get a Dell, new or outlet, without the on-site.

The only issue I've run into is that you have to find a system that meets your needs as it is listed. That's usually not a problem though, but you might end up poking at the site quite often for a few days before what you really want pops up. And nice systems go away pretty quick.

BTW, and try this at your own peril, I've always ordered regular and outlet stuff from Dell with next day delivery. Only once did Dell actually pull it off and on all the others they refunded my shipping.
    Art Scott wrote:
    I am looking at getting a 2nd computer....no go mac answers allowed.........

Looking on specific answers to:

1-Is Dell outlet a good place for good deals on Laptops?

2-Are Dell Refurbed Laptops reliable and trustworthy?

3- Any where else I should look at refurbed units??
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    YES to Dell outlet. I've bought my last three computers there (2 desktops, one laptop). Absolutely ZERO problems. Ditto our new monitor acquired in October - great price, great piece of equipment with zero problems to date.

The key to getting the most out of the outlet, however, is to stalk them until you see the spec you want at the price you want - they can fluctuate dramatically, so watch rigorously over as long a time as you can (I usually start checkin' it out a couple of months before I plan to purchase). Also, try them at different times of day - they upload the stock ~1am Texas time, I believe, so if you're a night owl it's definitely worth having a look in the middle of the night before the business buyers start shopping :D

The other good thing is that once you've bought an item, you can extend the warrantee at any time before the existing warrantee runs out. With my last laptop, I got a good 7 years out of it, all under a full warrantee. It did need several repairs, but they were all covered right up to the day I stopped using it and got this one (about a year old).

This current machine I'm on - a Studio 15, purchased last October - was under $500 initial expense (they had a big sale right after the market crashed, PLUS I had a 20% off coupon :D), and I just added another 3 years of warrantee for ~$200. Spec was excellent for the time I purchased (250g hdd, 2g ram etc etc). Sadly, that was before I started shooting raw or running Lightroom, but that's a separate issue entirely rolleyes1.gif

I know people hate Dell, but we've had really good experiences with them.

ETA: Oh, and always wait for a week with free shipping, which seems to be about every couple of weeks.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Thanks Dan7312................

divamum wrote:
    This current machine I'm on - a Studio 15, purchased last October - was under $500 initial expense (they had a big sale right after the market crashed, PLUS I had a 20% off coupon :D), and I just added another 3 years of warrantee for ~$200. Spec was excellent for the time I purchased (250g hdd, 2g ram etc etc). Sadly, that was before I started shooting raw or running Lightroom, but that's a separate issue entirely rolleyes1.gif

I know people hate Dell, but we've had really good experiences with them.

ETA: Oh, and always wait for a week with free shipping, which seems to be about every couple of weeks.

Thanks DivaMum..................

As to the shhooting raw...the HDD realy isn't going to be prob nor the ram or processor.....I keep all images off computer on their own HDD and will also have a scratch disk just in case...prob 500gb external and that is all it is used for........

In the past for desktops I always really like the business line of HP workstations...my last I built myself to save a ton of money.....not sure about building laptop....if it would save anything or just raise stress level:D:D .....so I am considering Dell into the equation....I know they used to sell like wildfire to all the Eastern Indian Students at Wichita State that worked for me...but that was due strickly to price and they were being sent back to their families as gifts (prior to 9-11)......

Others I am looking at are AlienWare, HP (nothing that comes from the Compaq line), Acer, Systemax......all with a min of Core duo processor, 3gb ram, prefer Win 7 to vista (as long as my XP software will work on the Win 7 machines......ack something else to consider.........dang!!!!)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website