What is red and white all over?

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited December 25, 2009 in People
....my little family at Christmas of course!

This year my hubbie actually coordinated this photo shoot- which is a pleasant change from the normal dragging of the feet. He told the kids not to play in the back yard until we had our photo... he shoveled the trenches to the birch grove where the action would happen... put up with many takes with me dashing through the snow to set the timer and adjust the lights while it was a very chilly 2*F...and he made some yummy tea for warming up in-between takes.
746691631_3pREr-XL.jpg

Aaack... loosing the light. It gets dark quick this time of year in Alaska. But thankfully this is winter Solstice today! (Which is perhaps celebrated nearly as much as Christmas in Alaska)
746684206_4QZwg-L.jpg

746683823_R5fzK-XL.jpg
After a couple shots of our youngest... with all the lights set up and everything, we had a background malfunction: The tree we were sitting under let loose (with a little help from dad) and she got covered.

5. Funny that I love the outtakes more than the adorable perfect smiles.

746687991_QDJYA-X3-1.jpg

Anyway... I am thinking of making a canvas out of one of the family photos, but the question is which one?? Any voters out there?

Comments

• metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    The red scarves are a cute idea. I like #3 the best because of everyone's expressions and it looks like a big family group hug. thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    +1 for #3.
    #2 has your son looking away, and #3 is just much tighter than #1 as MET noted.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Heather, these are sooooo beautiful!! I love the extra light on your hair, just really, really well done! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif What a beautiful looking family!clap.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    +1 for #3.
    #2 has your son looking away, and #3 is just much tighter than #1 as MET noted.

You guys don't think the dog strangulation look wrecks #3? And I love everyone's expression in that one... except mine.I seriously thought about doing a head swap. I look just a bit cheesy. But I can get over that, since everyone else looks so cute! iloveyou.gif
    edited December 21, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Heather, these are sooooo beautiful!! I love the extra light on your hair, just really, really well done! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif What a beautiful looking family!clap.gif
    Thanks Angie! I sure like my family too!iloveyou.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I think you look just fine in the third one. You are all bunched together. No cheese.
    The strangled dog works perfectly as well. It's a big group hug.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • dadwtwinsdadwtwins Registered Users Posts: 804 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I love #3 even with the dog strangulationiloveyou.gif...beautiful family.
    My Homepage :thumb-->http://dthorp.smugmug.com
    My Photo Blog -->http://dthorpphoto.blogspot.com/
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Laughing.gif! I hadn't noticed the dog abuse in the 3rd shot till you'd called it out... now I'm giggling. :D

Still, I think it's a favorite out of a collection of great shots. thumb.gif
    --Kres
    edited December 21, 2009
    kres wrote:
    Laughing.gif! I hadn't noticed the dog abuse in the 3rd shot till you'd called it out... now I'm giggling. :D

Still, I think it's a favorite out of a collection of great shots. thumb.gif

Yep, she gets LOTS of love. thumb.gif

Thanks! Best part: nobody is screaming! My kids are at the PERFECT age!
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Another vote for #3. It is as close to perfect as you can get expression wise, looking at the camera wise and eveything else. Beautiful setting. Would love to see it in person someday.

Great shots. Great Looking kids too!
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    You guys don't think the dog strangulation look wrecks #3? And I love everyone's expression in that one... except mine.I seriously thought about doing a head swap. I look just a bit cheesy. But I can get over that, since everyone else looks so cute! iloveyou.gif

I think this is my choice as well. Can't get over your mention of doing a head swap though as we were just talking about doing them at the last meeting of the local camera club that I am in — it seems that everyone has done them. Some years ago I suggested doing that to a friend's head in a group shot and she said that she couldn't remember every having her head transplanted!

What surprises me most is that you don't have a wireless remote for your camera. Even I have the Phottix Cleon that I bought from TeamSpeed in the Flea Market here. The highest prices that I have seen for knock offs is 40 odd dollars and some ads are for even less. The non OEM ones DO work.

Jane B.
    edited December 21, 2009
    Jane B. wrote:
    I think this is my choice as well. Can't get over your mention of doing a head swap though as we were just talking about doing them at the last meeting of the local camera club that I am in — it seems that everyone has done them. Some years ago I suggested doing that to a friend's head in a group shot and she said that she couldn't remember every having her head transplanted!

What surprises me most is that you don't have a wireless remote for your camera. Even I have the Phottix Cleon that I bought from TeamSpeed in the Flea Market here. The highest prices that I have seen for knock offs is 40 odd dollars and some ads are for even less. The non OEM ones DO work.

Jane B.
    I think everyone who has been in the biz enough to have even the slightest photoshop skills has done a head swap... it would be pretty common. I don't usually tell my clients when I have done it. If they can't tell, what is the big deal? Just so long as you don't swap it with Catherine Zeta Jones or something.

I know! I know! I need to get a remote shutter for that thing. I just recently upgraded to the MKII, and the local camera shop didn't have one. It will be with my next B&H order. (A little late, huh. Isn't that the way it always is?)
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
  • JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Love #1 !

just a noob's $.02... beautiful family, beautiful setting, and beautiful shots, but I'm going to join Troy in swimming against the flow... I think I like #1 too...
  • ARKreationsARKreations Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I really like #3. My first thought was just a little tighter crop, but I think the posted version as a canvas wrap would naturally crop it as I imagined it.
    Great series - really makes me want to visit Alaska some time!
    Ross - ARKreations Photography
    http://www.arkreations.com
    Nikon D700 | D300 | D80 | SB-800(x2) | SB-600(x2)
    Nikkor Lenses: 14-24 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.8 | 85 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | 70-300 VR
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    I think everyone who has been in the biz enough to have even the slightest photoshop skills has done a head swap... it would be pretty common. I don't usually tell my clients when I have done it. If they can't tell, what is the big deal? Just so long as you don't swap it with Catherine Zeta Jones or something.

I know! I know! I need to get a remote shutter for that thing. I just recently upgraded to the MKII, and the local camera shop didn't have one. It will be with my next B&H order. (A little late, huh. Isn't that the way it always is?)

The situation I was talking about was not a client shot; I just shoot as a hobby. A friend and I were comparing which of several shots of a group we liked best. I liked one version because it seemed to have the most people with a good expression but she liked her own expression in a different one better. I offered to move her head and after doing so is when I got the “transplant” comment. She is the only one I have heard, before or since, refer to the process as a "transplant". Can't remember exactly how she phrased it be it made me think of gardening.

When I first started looking for a remote I ran across many postings that indicated that those offered on ebay work just fine at a much lessor cost. You might want to do some comparison before just ordering from B & H ( I have no quarrel with the quality and service from B & H etc. but I also have to stretch a lean budget).

Jane B.
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Very nice! What a beautiful family.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2009
    Love #1 !

15524779-Ti.gif

That's the one I like best, too! That said, they're ALL lovely, so it's entirely a matter of personal preference here. thumb.gif

Your dog is as cute as the rest of your family!

ETA (now that I'm looking at them again): what lighting did you use? I'm trying to "read" what you had where (and if you gelled, because the faces look nice and warm compared to the blue cast of the shadowed snow), but I can't quite work it out.... headscratch.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    #1 would be my choice for print. It has a nice even spacing between the faces in a zigzag pattern. #3 shows family closeness with better facial expressions but you seem to be in an awkward position with your leg sticking out and face not fully turned. Kudos to your husband for braving that cold without a head cover. Beautiful family and backdrop.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Print #3 and add the disclaimer....."No animals were injured during this photo shoot"

Sam
    edited December 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

That's the one I like best, too! That said, they're ALL lovely, so it's entirely a matter of personal preference here. thumb.gif

Your dog is as cute as the rest of your family!

ETA (now that I'm looking at them again): what lighting did you use? I'm trying to "read" what you had where (and if you gelled, because the faces look nice and warm compared to the blue cast of the shadowed snow), but I can't quite work it out.... headscratch.gif

No gels... The colors are due to the shadows in the ambient of the background being cool and the flash was left 5500. So, in a nutshell, all that was touched by the flash is warmer than the area left to ambient. Mixed temps sometimes communicate a fun look, huh!
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    I 15524779-Ti.gif with those that chose #3. To me it sorta reminds me of the ending in the movie "Santa Clause 3" when the girls parents get thawed out. rolleyes1.gif I also liked the outtakes!!!! As Larry the Cable Guy says: "Now that there was funny!"

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    I vote #3, and it sure is nice to see the frigid temps from a faraway place like China. :D Have a great Christmas back home in the cold, we get to see how the Chinese do it this year!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
    edited December 23, 2009
    coldclimb wrote:
    I vote #3, and it sure is nice to see the frigid temps from a faraway place like China. :D Have a great Christmas back home in the cold, we get to see how the Chinese do it this year!

That should be fun!

But you are missing all this record breaking snow! We got almost 2 feet in 24 hours...and up in Thompson pass they got 7 (SEVEN!!!) feet in 24 hours. Needless to say we did not go to Valdez that day. But all of our snow is melting... : )
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    That should be fun!

But you are missing all this record breaking snow! We got almost 2 feet in 24 hours...

Hey, wait a minute - WE just got 2ft in 24hrs (did I move north and not notice?! headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif)
    edited December 23, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Hey, wait a minute - WE just got 2ft in 24hrs (did I move north and not notice?! headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gif)
    :giggle
    Well seriously... if you still have to put up with all the snow don'tcha think you should just bite the bullet and move up here and get in on the rest of the fun that comes with it!? rolleyes1.gif
  • SirArmstrongSirArmstrong Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Very nice, I like the second pic the best.

The dog just looks like it had enough and wants to get warm though!
    Merry Christmas!
    Steve

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."

Ansel Adams
  • Mark LedinghamMark Ledingham Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Fun shots here, Heather! I think you did a great job on all of them, but #1 and #3 are my favorites. Enjoy your winter holidays!
    thumb.gif
    All the best from northern Norway,
    Mark Ledingham

Please visit Mark Ledingham Photography ...You might just like it!
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    # 1 for me
    Beautiful family.

#1 is the best, everyone's expression is very relaxed, great lighting, and awesome composition.

in #2 and #3 you look like you are tackling your family, and # 3 your strangled dog draws attention away form the whole.

Did you shoot just the background? That would be an awesome background to PS in!

OH btw if your camera has an IR remote function you can pick a wireless shutter for like $4. I have one for my Nikon and it sure beats running back and forth and waiting for the "jack in the box" shutter.

Merry Christmas!
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    I love them! very nice clap.gifwings.gif