Pano TS1 cracks

drdoakdrdoak Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited December 21, 2009 in Cameras
I bought myself a DMC-TS1 camera way back when they came out earlier in the year to take rafting with me. Took fantastic pictures, some of which came pretty darn close to my 40D shots. The waterproofing worked great, even seemed to survive the fine grain sand at the bottom of Grand Canyon.

Until one day...

It was Elves Chasm/Deer Creek day and at camp that evening I noticed (1) that my cargo pocket was absolutely shredded and (2) that my shockproof/waterproof camera had a crack running from the lens to the flash. Steel covers much of the area between the two, but the cracks seem to line up. There's not a scratch or a ding on the steel. Nor is the lens plate scratched at all beyond the crack.

Anywhoo, the camera still functioned and with a little zooming, the crack was off frame. Still survived the rapids no problem. Then it got submerged at Havasu creek and flooded internally. Still worked. Then it got foggy as the thing dried for a couple of days. Still worked (though the pictures were, shall we say, modern art...).

I gotta give it credit for operating despite being partially full of water, but I never dropped it or fell on it or anything. The metal casing isn't dented or scratched so I've got to wonder what on earth I did to it to crack the lens plate that's supposed to survive a 4-5' drop onto something hard.

Anyone else have one of these and/or hear about them getting cracked easily?
...and the river flows through our souls...
www.chrislindbergphotography.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 21, 2009
    Whatever "shredded" your pants pocket damaged your camera. Look at this way, your pants and your camera saved your leg from certain injury.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums