Google Maps Win & a pre-Christmas tease

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited December 29, 2009 in Landscapes
I'm heading out of town tonight for the holidays so haven't had a chance to really "work" this photo (or even decide if it's the best of comps I got the other morning), but I wanted to get it out there and share it.

Back story - Friday after work, I turned my Christmas bonus into a much needed new tripod and set about finding new places around San Diego to photograph (that's where Google Maps come in). After living here almost 4 and a half years, I'm familiar with about 1% of the city and have photographed far less than that, so I spent a good amount of time "scouting" locations via Google Maps alternating between the satellite view and the topo, eventually I found Lake Hodges, which I've driven past and "over" countless times on I-15 (most recently, Friday night on my way to get the new tripod!) and never even knew it was there, just 15 minutes from home. I shot Saturday's sunset and Sunday's sunrise and sunset there (my girlfriend's already outof town for Xmas, so I had lots of time to myself). This is from Sunday's sunrise, I really couldn't have wished for a better one:

747535220_7dtbB-XL.jpg

Proof that I should invest $25 in a local hiking/things to see type book but in the meantime, Thank you Google Maps! :clap

I've got lots of other comps, and this one could probably benefit from a bit of layer masking and other edits, but those'll have to wait until after the holidays!

C&C welcome, thanks for looking and Happy Holidays! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Beautifull colors in this shot. Look forward to seeing some more.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Beautifull colors in this shot. Look forward to seeing some more.

Thanks, Aaron!

I've got a ton to go through just from that morning, let alone the 2 sunsets from the weekend, which is good, because I can't decide if I like the sticks in the foreground or not. I bracketted like crazy and will try masking in some more detail to them, but maybe a different comp will work better, one without them sticking up into the sky like this.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Chris -

Always a pleasure to see your work. This is not exception, wonderful exposure - well done. Love the colors and setting.

Merry Chritsmas

Brv
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Chris--This is a great shot and I can't wait to see more from your newly discovered shooting location! What a great find!!

Have a safe and happy Christmas and keep shooting!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Really cool, I'm digging the ripples in the foreground. Very Everglades-esque :D

I think my photography took a giant leap forward when I realized I could get shots near by and didn't have to only shoot while on vacation :D
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Awesome Chris, you inspired me and I went to Lake Skopec ... I mean Hodges yesterday morning. Also got a ton to go through and hope to get one or two good ones. BTW, I went down the trail on the south side and as you know there are some great landscape, abstract and water fowl photo ops. This is also when I realized that I need a longer lens.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.
    edited December 28, 2009
    Sorry for the late reply folks, had a very busy, but enjoyable vacation and didn't have a chance to get to a computer (probably a good thing everyonce in a while).

Thanks for all the kind words, I've got a bunch of work to do to get some "finished" works, but I've got a great sky to work off of! Hopefully I can get a couple done before the New Year! :D

Ron, I totally agree! Up until a week ago, I always figured there was no chance I'd be able to shot a sunrise before work. Now I know that once the days get a little bit longer, I'll have plenty of time to go catch a sunrise and still make it to work. And with a sunrise like this to start, how can I say no?!

Shimon, I was shocked by the amount of birds on the south side of the lake! There are some to be found on the west side, where I took this sunrise, but most seem to be nesting on that side. Time for me to get a longer lens too! mwink.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 28, 2009
    Stunning capture, Chris. And I like the way you biased it towards that super reflection. Two thumbs up, my man. thumb.gifthumb
    edited December 28, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Stunning capture, Chris. And I like the way you biased it towards that super reflection. Two thumbs up, my man. thumb.gifthumb

Thank you, Joel! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2009
    I don't have anything more constructive to add. kdog had it right! thumb.gif
    edited December 29, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I don't have anything more constructive to add. kdog had it right! thumb.gif

Thank you, Schmoo! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos