Upgrade or Replace a D60 -- Help please

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited December 23, 2009 in Cameras
A friend borrowed my 70-200 2.8L on his D60 a couple of weeks ago, and liked it. Now, given he only had a 50 before, there is a lot to potentially like (just having the telephoto vs. any additionally light-grabbing ability). Now, his spouse and son want to upgrade his setup and it seems that putting a 2.8L on a D60 is a bit of overkill.

If one assumes staying with Canon, and their budget is a bit soft but somewhere in the $1500-$2500 area. It seems there are a couple of possible recommendations:

1) Keep the D60 and get the ???
2) Rebel T1i + Kit Lens (and perhaps the an L lens on top of it) [sets you back about $2100]
3) 50D + 24-105

Seems suggesting a flash is worthwhile as well, which makes L-glass on the 50 a bit out of initial paramter, but may be close enough....

Not sure if the video option on the Rebel T1i has any value to him. What I have no clue about is whether the D60's core has much intrinsic value relative to the DigIC-IV machines out there and what the IQ jump is from this machine (which predates my doing anything w/ a digital SLR).
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    how did they use canon glass on the D60?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    how did they use canon glass on the D60?
    Before the 10D was the Canon D60. This is why I suspect that upgrading the processor is step 1 of any kit upgrade here. The D60 sold around 2002.... It is a 6.3Mpix sensor, but I can't tell much else about it.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited December 22, 2009
    but to answer your question..if they stick with nikon..sell the D60 and other lens. Assume $2900 budget.

D90 = $900
    17-55mm 2.8 = $1000
    85mm 1.4 = $1000

or D90 and 70-200mm VR1
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    edited December 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Before the 10D was the Canon D60. This is why I suspect that upgrading the processor is step 1 of any kit upgrade here. The D60 sold around 2002.... It is a 6.3Mpix sensor, but I can't tell much else about it.

oh nm then lol..I thought you meant the nikon d60
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 22, 2009
    The Canon XSi is a remarkable value and would be a pretty good upgrade from the Canon D60.

The XSi and standard "kit" lens, specifically the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, and then adding the EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS and a flash (I will always push having a decent flash) and a DIY flash modifier would give an excellent basic kit that could do most anything except sports/action.

Substitute the EF 70-200mm, f2.8 IS USM if there is a need for it.

A 40D or 50D would be nice, again if needed and if budgeted, but the XSi is still fairly modern by features.

An EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM is a pretty ideal standard zoom, but an awful lot of money. The Tamron 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) is a more affordable alternate that lacks IS but is still pretty high quality.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • PVNPhotographyPVNPhotography Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    With that price range, I'd say get the 50D with the kit (or body only is about $1,100). Add a 70-200mm f/4L IS USM (or take the USM version only for $600) for another $1,200. Leaves him with $200 extra w/ the IS USM (leaves him $800 if he buys the USM version only).

So if he buys the f/4L IS USM, he can probably get a 430EX II (add a few extra bucks) or a battery grip. If he buys the USM version of the f/4L, he has enough money to buy a Speedlite 430EX II, Battery grip, maybe a 50mm f/1.4 if he can extend his budge a bit.
    Canon Rebel XSi/450D
    edited December 22, 2009
    I sort of assumed the D60 was something that one would generally want to replace. It apparently will not take the EF-S lenses (at least the docs don't reflect that), and the higher ISO perf will likely drive the decision. In the end, they pulled back until some job stuff settled down, but the data is worth the while to mull over.

THanks for the answers/opinions.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • dmmattixdmmattix Registered Users Posts: 341 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I sort of assumed the D60 was something that one would generally want to replace. It apparently will not take the EF-S lenses (at least the docs don't reflect that), and the higher ISO perf will likely drive the decision. In the end, they pulled back until some job stuff settled down, but the data is worth the while to mull over.

THanks for the answers/opinions.

The D30(3MPix) and D60(6MPix) cameras were LONG before the EF-S mount came on the scene and will only take EF mount lenses. I still have my old D30 and really like the pictures it takes but you have to have really good light for the old AutoFocus to work much at all. After using modern cameras it is fascinating to use the D30 and have it run the lens all the way out and all the way back in and still not get ANY focus. I actually start laughing when I use it and it does it's little focus square dance. You actually have to use one of these every so often so you can appreciate what the new cameras can do. I think you would hear a lot fewer complaints about the focusing of the latest models if the users just were forced to use a D30/60 for a week or two.

Long story to explain why I think the T1i or the 50D would be the best choice. On one hand the 50D controls are closer to the D60 than the T1i. On the other hand I have read that the T1i might have better high ISO performance but either one will blow the doors off the D60.

The D60 was amazing in it's day but it's day has passed on.

Regards,

Mike

Mike Mattix
    Tulsa, OK

"There are always three sides to every story. Yours, mine, and the truth" - Unknown
    edited December 23, 2009
    Thanks. Keep warm up there...It's supposed to drop 20-30 degrees between today and tomorrow down here.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    I would buy a used 20D/30D/40D or even 50D body and whatever the lens that I needs. I found the x0D body has much better focus accuracy than the lower end model especially when you shoot with large apertures under low lights or sport events.

Eric
    edited December 23, 2009
    That's good to know. He might not be doing sports (though his daughter just started MS basketball), but fast-moving children will certainly be in the mix. I'm going to guess that unless $$ becomes the defining point, just the feel of the 40/50 will be a tipping point.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    The T1i is basically an xsi, but with a 50d instead of 40d processor and the addition of video. If a Rebel is decided to be the way to go, then look for one at a GOOD PRICE - iow, not that much above the xsi - then it is a GREAT starting point. The xsi is no slouch, however - I've been more than satisfied with mine. If either of those are the choice, then highly recommend a grip - the camera is small top-to-bottom and the grip definitely improves holdability.

The big question, of course, is the feel of it vs XXd series and only he can determine that. I shoot an xsi and love it, although now I'm shooting manual most of the time I find the "only one wheel" ergonomics a bit of a pain (in manual the front wheel adjust shutter, but to adjust aperture you have to hold down the exp comp button and THEN turn the front wheel simultaneously. Not comfy or as fast as on the XXd's and up). If he shoots manual, then the XXd series is definitely the way to go especially since there are good buys on the 50d right now (although the 60d rumours are starting to fly so who knows what the next couple of months may bring? headscratch.gif). The 50d can be found under $1000 just about everywhere, and my guess is prices will fall again after the holiday frenzy is over (I hope. I'm stalking prices right now :D)

Now, if money's no object and he wants a fast crop camera, then obviously the 7d is the way to go, but it's a lot more money.

As for a lens... the kit lenses aren't bad for their price point - although obviously consumer rather than higher end pro lenses - and the 55-250is (250 new and ~199 refurb) is really excellent if you don't need fast aperture glass - it's the telephoto equivalent of the 50 1.8, and I'd have kept mine if I didn't need fast glass for a lot of what I do.
    edited December 23, 2009
    We'll see what the spring brings in terms of bodies and glass.
    Thanks for the research.
    -a
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site