Nikon + B&H

OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited July 3, 2010 in Cameras
So i recently Purchased a nikon D90 camera body rom B&H, I was hoping i would get a USA version but i didnt...i got a thailand...so first question is how do you get a USA Version from B&H?

Second How does the nikon Warranty work with thailand models...i.e. where and how would i get it serviced if i needed too?

Comments

• 12bar12bar Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 23, 2009
    When you look at an item on the B&H website it will say if it is an import or USA. The imports are always a little less money but you will have to send it to B&H should it need warranty work, Nikon USA won't touch it.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 23, 2009
    12bar wrote:
    When you look at an item on the B&H website it will say if it is an import or USA. The imports are always a little less money but you will have to send it to B&H should it need warranty work, Nikon USA won't touch it.

12bar, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Ozzwald wrote:
    So i recently Purchased a nikon D90 camera body rom B&H, I was hoping i would get a USA version but i didnt...i got a thailand...so first question is how do you get a USA Version from B&H?

Second How does the nikon Warranty work with thailand models...i.e. where and how would i get it serviced if i needed too?

I'm guessing you mean it says "Made in Thailand" on the bottom? AFAIK, all the D90s are made in Thailand. Mine says that, and it's definitely a USA model. The USA versions were not made in the USA. When you purchased it, there should have been no doubt whether it was a USA or "gray market" version, as they list that information on the website when you order.

I have had to have my D90 repaired by Nikon USA, and there was no problem whatsoever.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • OzzwaldOzzwald Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Your says made in thailand...how do you know it's a USA Model?

How did the repair process go? Like How did you get Nikon USA to repair a Thailand made camera? Ya i was wonddering why the wasnt a USA choice on B&H...So i could through either B&H or Nikon USA?

...No Nikon D90 USA MADE EXIST?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 23, 2009
    Ozzwald wrote:

How did the repair process go? Like How did you get Nikon USA to repair a Thailand made camera? Ya i was wonddering why the wasnt a USA choice on B&H...So i could through either B&H or Nikon USA?

Nikon is a Japanese company and they have cameras and lenses and other equipment manufactured and assembled all over the globe. Even Kodak cameras are manufactured and assembled in other countries.

If you got a US warranty it is intended for the USA market.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Ozzwald wrote:

Honestly if there were MADE IN USA D90s, you would have to pay double, tripple, quadruple or even more for it. Now we are talking about globalization....mwink.gif

Eric
    edited December 23, 2009
    So no Nikon D90's say made in USA?

When you say if it came with a USA warranty, i you referring to the warranty card it came with?

SO if it is imported by a verified dealer, like B&H, made in Thailand, Nikon Usa Will Honor it as a USA Warranty?
  • gowiththeflowgowiththeflow Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Ozzwald wrote:
    So no Nikon D90's say made in USA?

When you say if it came with a USA warranty, i you referring to the warranty card it came with?

SO if it is imported by a verified dealer, like B&H, made in Thailand, Nikon Usa Will Honor it as a USA Warranty?

I don't think Nikon makes ANYTHING in the US. 'US model' simply means it was imported by Nikon USA for their dealers, rather than imported directly by the dealer as grey market stuff is. They usually prefix the serial number with 'US' for lenses, but I've never seen that on a body.

But B&H doesn't list any grey market D90s on their site, so I think you're safe.
  • tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    I once asked Nikon about a DSLR body and how I could tell it was a US model or grey market. They mentioned that US models had the UL certification on the label like this one:
    214833727_epN8Z-L.jpg

When I inquired I was asking about the D2x and D3 models. I just noticed my old D70 has no such marking, yet it was a US model. I would assume this holds true for other models
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Ozzwald wrote:

Because when I bought it, I clicked on the "USA model" version instead of the "gray market" one.

I guess I was thinking Adorama, not B&H. Adorama lists gray market products as well as USA versions, where the gray market are a little cheaper. As I recall, on their website, it tells you that functionally, the gray market items are the same as the USA ones, except for the warranty coverage. But I guess B&H only sells the USA versions, so you have no worries. They are an authorized Nikon dealer, so anything you buy new from them should come with a USA warranty.

As others have said, no D90s are actually made in the USA. It's just a question of the warranty coverage and whether or not your item was "officially" imported by an authorized dealer or not. Frankly, from what I've noticed, the price difference isn't that great, so I don't really understand why someone would purchase a gray market item in the first place, but that's not something you need to worry about.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
    edited December 24, 2009
    Thanks for all the response, just a little paranoid cause i think i got hussled on my D80. Guy was complaing about being made in thailand and i dropped the price by 50$...Kind of miss leading talking about usa model when it says made in thailand.

Glad to know i have a USA model. Who knew this was that confusing.
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I think only Nikon lenses are stocked in both USA and gray-market versions at B&H. I don't think I've ever seen a gray-market Nikon body listed.
  • JovesJoves Registered Users Posts: 200 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    jthomas wrote:
    I think only Nikon lenses are stocked in both USA and gray-market versions at B&H. I don't think I've ever seen a gray-market Nikon body listed.
    You are correct.
    If your D90 came with a Warranty Card and it came with a book form of the Manual then it is US. From what I understand the Gray Markets dont come with manuals in English and, the shippers make coppies of the manuals in leaf form. But I m not entirely sure on that as I never order the gray because the price difference is not great enough to lose the warranty, this is especially true on lenses because, they are 5 year ones.
    I shoot therefore Iam.
    http://joves.smugmug.com/
  • PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Nikon lenses intended for the US market start with "US".
  • elgr70elgr70 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 1, 2010
    FYI - I had a similar question about my recently purchased Nikon D90 from getitdigital and weather or not it really was a "USA Model" as advertised.

I contacted Nikon USA, gave them the serial number from the bottom and told them it said "Made in Thailand" as well. They responded that I did in fact have a camera that was authorized for sale in the U.S. from an authorized dealer (even though I didn't mention getitdigital). So, the "USA Model" that some retailers are using is meant to imply...a camera intended for authorized sale in the U.S. and that Nikon will honor the U.S. warranty that comes with it.

Also, from the Nikon site, you can see that the D90's are made in Thailand:

D90.jpg

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8463

That URL also lists numerous other Nikon cameras as well.
  • How about DonHow about Don Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited July 2, 2010
    I recently bought a gray market Nikon lens from B&H. Has everything the USA market stuff has including mamual in english but a B&H in store warrenty rather than a Nikon. Also got a 3yr warrenty with it for another $30. It was still cheaper than the USA model and exactly the same lens.
  • nightowlcatnightowlcat Registered Users Posts: 188 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2010
    What does it say on your receipt that you purchased?