Lene & Ina - C&C are welcomed

ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
edited December 24, 2009 in People
I'm trying to learn how to take good portraits. Thankfully both Lene and Ina agreed to let me take a few pictures of them.

The first two are of Lene. It was freezing cold this day, -15 Celsius, so we did the photo shoot very quickly. The first one is taken towards the sun with only the built in-flash used. I don't own any expensive gear, so i try to get the light that i want and such in other ways. The light was hard on the second one, so i felt it looked better in b/w

DSC_0025_dott.jpg

DSC_0045dott.jpg

This one is of Ina, taken two months ago.

ina1.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Comments

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Very nice. Great job of using fill flash on the first one and control the flare brightness of the settin sun. Beautiful shot of two beautiful women. I think the second one has to be my favorite though.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Two stunning ladies - no question there.

The second photo is, by far, the better of the three. I think shooting this with your camera rotated to portrait orientation might have enhanced this one a bit - as it is, I would crop some to remove the background distrations.

The other two lack any shadows to give depth to the shots - that's one of the advantages of getting the fill light off camera.

As for the amount of fill - you did a wonderful job getting it dialed in right to match the ambient. thumb.gif
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    I have to agree with Scott on #2. #3 would be better if cropped to portrait as well, and you cloaned out the trees. That one has several trees growing out of her head, but I love how her eyes really pop!

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Sounds like Russian names and looks like Russian ladies:-)
    Given the lack of proper gear, I think you did pretty good.
    The skin treatment is a bit too much on a Barbie side, IMHO, but that's my personal preference.
    Lighting wise #2 is a winner thumb.gif , since both #1 and #3 show clear signs on (unbalanced) flash ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Nice pictures; however…

#1 is unbalanced and looks like a face looming out of a dark background; might have been better if the sun had been directly behind her, and if you'd used slightly less fill-in…

#2 rotate 90º (it's not for nothing they call it "portrait mode")

#3 Ah! Nice! She's looking out of the frame though, and I'd be more comfortable if she was looking at the camera. Beautiful eyes and they match the tiny piece of her top which is visible. I don't know about the blown out high-light on her head though… I'd turn the camera and frame differently; something like this:

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ZygoteZygote Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Thank you guys so much for taking the time to give me such great advice thumb.gif The girls are Norwegian, Nikolai mwink.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Zygote wrote:
    Thank you guys so much for taking the time to give me such great advice thumb.gif The girls are Norwegian, Nikolai mwink.gif
    Oh well, missed by a thousand miles:-) rolleyes1.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"