Options

Resizing for Digital Frame

jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Finishing School
I have done some research regarding resizing images for display in a digital photo frame, and wanted to list what I think is the way to do it and see if anyone could confirm that I have it right, or offer suggestions.

I am planning on resizing and saving as a duplicate file so that I can reduce the file size and fit more pictures on the frame while hopefully maintaining good image quality. These are for family pictures, not art. I will be using Photoshop Elements 8, the resolution of the frame is 800 by 600.

I have separated the images into two folders on my computer, one for portrait orientation, one for landscape. I planned to use the multiple files command in elements to resize the images longest side to 800 pixels, while keeping proportions constrained.

Do I have the right idea?

Thanks!
Joe Kelly
New Jersey

Comments

• Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    I just went through this, because my daughter bought me one of these frames. I resized to 800 on the longest side, and it worked fine. Yes, you have to keep the proportions (aspect ratio) fixed, or it will look weird. I did mine by exporting from Canon's free Zoom Browser.

Some frames will not show all jpegs "created on a computer." I had that problem with the first images. Zoom Browser and Picassa both stripped out whatever extra details offended the Sony frame, so it worked fine when I used their export functions.
    jkelly25 wrote:
    I have done some research regarding resizing images for display in a digital photo frame, and wanted to list what I think is the way to do it and see if anyone could confirm that I have it right, or offer suggestions.

I am planning on resizing and saving as a duplicate file so that I can reduce the file size and fit more pictures on the frame while hopefully maintaining good image quality. These are for family pictures, not art. I will be using Photoshop Elements 8, the resolution of the frame is 800 by 600.

I have separated the images into two folders on my computer, one for portrait orientation, one for landscape. I planned to use the multiple files command in elements to resize the images longest side to 800 pixels, while keeping proportions constrained.

Do I have the right idea?

Thanks!
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    The other thing to consider is the resolution/compression ratio. I did a few trial images first on my frame using different settings (I put in a piece of text so I could tell) in Lightroom. I found that a JPG of 8 in Adobe ratio of 1 to 12 was the point of diminishing returns. Any higher and I did not see any improvement. So once I compressed/dithered/downsampled... etc I was able to fit more on the frame.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact