Dark line through some images, help!

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited December 23, 2009 in Cameras
Had this strange thing happen to me, shot four or five shots just fine, then this weird dark line showed up in the middle. I powered the camera down, took out the batteries, took the lens off and back on and then it was fine. Anyone know what this might be? I have two weddings next week....aagh!

1. Perfectly fine shot
748074538_ybBEu-M.jpg

2. Very next Frame
748074842_PKUxM-M.jpg

ETA: This is my 5d MkI, with 35 1.4L.
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Could it have been a flash mis- (or not-) fire?
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 23, 2009
    Were you using flash? Looks like it might be a sync problem. ne_nau.gif
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Were you using flash? Looks like it might be a sync problem. ne_nau.gif

agree, that's what it looked like, however no flash was mounted, and the 5d has no popup. headscratch.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
  • RedSoxRedSox Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Are you shooting under fluorescent lights? See if the dark line disappears, if you dial to higher shuttle speed.

Eric
    edited December 23, 2009
    RedSox wrote:
    Are you shooting under fluorescent lights? See if the dark line disappears, if you dial to higher shuttle speed.

Eric

YESS!!! That's it, thanks Eric!!! whew! :D
    Canon 5D MkI
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    RedSox wrote:

Eric

Wouldn't you need to slow down the shutter speed to avoid? IIRC, typical AC electric operates at 60Hz (or cycles per second). If using available light and shutter speed is faster than 1/60, you may capture image between cycles. Slower speeds means you'll capture an entire cycle. So I would think you need to slow the shutter speed to avoid the phenomenon.

Similar to photo images of a TV screen; if faster than 1/60, you'll likely capture a black scanning line on the screen between the frames (though not sure now with latest TV technologies ne_nau.gif ).
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
    edited December 23, 2009
    aj986s wrote:
    Wouldn't you need to slow down the shutter speed to avoid? IIRC, typical AC electric operates at 60Hz (or cycles per second). If using available light and shutter speed is faster than 1/60, you may capture image between cycles. Slower speeds means you'll capture an entire cycle. So I would think you need to slow the shutter speed to avoid the phenomenon.

Similar to photo images of a TV screen; if faster than 1/60, you'll likely capture a black scanning line on the screen between the frames (though not sure now with latest TV technologies ne_nau.gif ).

Tony

You are right. The florecent light uses a magnetic ballast, it will flicker "off" 100-120 times a second (2 times for every cycle of the 50-60Hz line power). At high enough shutter speeds, one frame might be taken while the light output is at its peak, and another frame taken while the light is at its lowest resulting in significant exposure differences. At slower shutter speeds, the fluctuations end up being integrated together so you won't notice a difference between frames.

Eric
    edited December 23, 2009
    urbanaries wrote:
    YESS!!! That's it, thanks Eric!!! whew! :D

Glad to see that it was not the problem of you 5D. Yeah. so, need to dial down the speed not dial up. mwink.gif

Eric
    edited December 23, 2009
    RedSox wrote:
    Glad to see that it was not the problem of you 5D. Yeah. so, need to dial down the speed not dial up. mwink.gif

Eric

These were all shot at 1/800, so explains why it was in some but not all. I'm sooo glad you guys are here for these emergencies! clap.giflust
    Canon 5D MkI