Loud motor on 17-55mm 2.8IS-should I return it?

kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited December 24, 2009 in Cameras
Alright, I got the package from BHphoto today and it was smashed in-obvious damage. Husband signed for it and didn't mention the damage to UPS. So I took pictures of the package unopened for whatever its worth...anyway, the glass is good, no cracks or apparent damage to the lens itself.

Now, the lens motor is loud, it focuses fast but the IS makes an obvious buzzing sound-is this normal?? When IS is turned off, there is still a faint low tone noise(hard to describe). Would you return it? I'm so mad right now I am tempted to just give up on photography for good with all the hell I've been through with getting the equipment. GRRR

Has anyone returned something to BHphoto?? How difficult is this going to be?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited December 23, 2009
    Alright, I got the package from BHphoto today and it was smashed in-obvious damage. Husband signed for it and didn't mention the damage to UPS. So I took pictures of the package unopened for whatever its worth...anyway, the glass is good, no cracks or apparent damage to the lens itself.

Now, the lens motor is loud, it focuses fast but the IS makes an obvious buzzing sound-is this normal?? When IS is turned off, there is still a faint low tone noise(hard to describe). Would you return it? I'm so mad right now I am tempted to just give up on photography for good with all the hell I've been through with getting the equipment. GRRR

Has anyone returned something to BHphoto?? How difficult is this going to be?

AF motor should be quiet.

In mine, the IS makes a distinct rapid ticking/clicking (could be called a low-frequency buzz I suppose) when engaged. You have to be inches away from the lens to really hear it however.

B&H is among the easiest to deal with.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    AF motor should be quiet.

In mine, the IS makes a distinct rapid ticking/clicking (could be called a low-frequency buzz I suppose) when engaged. You have to be inches away from the lens to really hear it however.

B&H is among the easiest to deal with.

I agree....

Mine is nearly...completely...silent. Exchange it.thumb.gif

Congrats on new gear!.....Im sure BH will make it right!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    ,,,and if you dont already have it, I HIGHLY recommend you get...and use...the correct hood for the 17-55. It helps prevent flaring, but also acts as a pretty good "bumper" and shock absorber when handling the lens.
  • codruscodrus Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ,,,and if you dont already have it, I HIGHLY recommend you get...and use...the correct hood for the 17-55. It helps prevent flaring, but also acts as a pretty good "bumper" and shock absorber when handling the lens.

I agree. Canon really ought to include that hood with the lens.
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    codrus wrote:
    I agree. Canon really ought to include that hood with the lens.

Yeah, I don't understand why they can't include a 30 cent piece of plastic with all their non L lenses!

Anyways, KEEP THE PACKAGING! But B&H is easy to deal with, so is ups even if you signed for it. Signing for a package does not wave your right to file a claim.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8