Family member on the beach

NihilationNihilation Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
edited December 25, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Alright, so while Max isn't human, he also isn't wildlife. I plan on blowing this up for my sister (it's her dog) and framing. I've linked both the original and the cropped/edited version. I know it's grainy post processed however I feel the sharpness gained is worth it. Thoughts?

http://jtaylor.u24.hosting.thruport.net/images/myrtle_beach/025.JPG

And the edited:

http://jtaylor.u24.hosting.thruport.net/images/myrtle_beach/025_shopped.JPG

There goes my bandwidth...:rofl

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2009
    Well of course that is a family member !! On my screen the unedited version look much better. headscratch.gif
    He looks white and fluffy

But in the PP the pink of his skin under his fur stands out way too much making him look sickly and like he is losing his hair, he looks very scraggly . The pink tones look way too red, almost bloody in some areas.

Too much of a good thing is still to much. Sometimes you really have to stand back, or wait a day to give it another look before you sign off on it, well at least I do. Sometimes the next day I can hardly believe I thought I had improved a photo , and I start all over. But that is just me.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Nihilation wrote:
    Alright, so while Max isn't human, he also isn't wildlife.
    Other Cool Shots it is thumb.gif
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    The perspective on the original is very good, and the dog's color is excellent.

I really like the cropping on the edited version, but the Dutch tilt doesn't work as well; try rotating the horizon straighter before cropping.

The color on the cropped version is also skewed. The dog seems to have picked up a lot of pink at some point, and the spots where you cloned out the harness make his fur look disheveled and messy. I think it'll be okay to leave the harness in.

Where you cloned out the leash looks fine.

The background is noisy, and this was accentuated by the cropping, and maybe by whatever color or levels adjustments you did.

Here's an example of what I mean. I rotated it, did a manual Levels adjustment, and cloned out the leash. I left the harness in. I also had to clone a section of beach in the lower left corner, because the rotation left me with a triangle of white space when I cropped it; I simply copied an identical section of beach from the pic's original LL corner and blended it into the cropped version, so the section of beach is not a duplicate of anything that's in the final version. You can still see the blend line if you look hard enough, but someone better in Photoshop than I could probably fix it.

http://willcad.org/images/misc/025-B.jpg
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"