Options

Canon S200

DinoDino Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited January 18, 2004 in Cameras
I have just purchased a canon s200 digital camera. I want to get the most from my pictures. Does anyone know about "white balance"? The camera has an automatic setting for white balance but I am wondering if my pictures would be better if I set the white balance manually.

Comments

• Options
    edited January 18, 2004
    Canon S200
    Re my Canon S200. How do I know what resolution to use? How do I decide on the compression?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Dino, others may have a technically more sound answer than I do. My feeling is that you need to experiement. Test the auto white balance under different light sources, then try a manual white balance. Compare the shots and see which is more accurate.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited January 18, 2004
    Dino wrote:
    Re my Canon S200. How do I know what resolution to use? How do I decide on the compression?
    I like to think that resolution setting is pretty straight forward. Shoot with
    the highest possible. Why? You can always resize the image to make it smaller
    but you cannot, easily, re-size it to make it larger.

Same with compression. The best compression would be no compression.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    John MacdonaldJohn Macdonald Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    not the right place for this...
    Someone oughta put this over in point and shoot.

And I agree with wxwax.
    Experimentation is the key.
    Go burn a couple hundred images of stuff you look at a lot with different settings and get your own feel of what's happening.
    Something else to note is that without a calibrated monitor, it's gonna be a little hard to dial that thing in, unless he's printing every variant of the experiment, and somehow documenting each print with the information regarding camera settings...

wxwax wrote:
    Dino, others may have a technically more sound answer than I do. My feeling is that you need to experiement. Test the auto white balance under different light sources, then try a manual white balance. Compare the shots and see which is more accurate.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Dino, my suggestion is to shoot on the very highest resolution you can. It's a 2 megapixel camera, so if you have a decent enough sized compact flash card, you'll have room for hundreds of shots. The benefit of shooting at the highest resolution is that your shot will be the best that it can be.

BTW, your threads are better located in the Point and Shoot forum. I'll ask for them to be moved.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2004
    Someone oughta put this over in point and shoot.

Done. Dino I also merged your two S200 threads into one so we can keep them together.
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2004
    Thanks Sid.
    wxwax wrote:
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2004
    Thank you.
    patch29 wrote:
    Done. Dino I also merged your two S200 threads into one so we can keep them together.