Options

communications during weddings

shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Weddings
I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this kind or question but, my husband and I are wondering about a two way radio system that we could use during large weddings. We have one this weekend...the day after Christmas. We will be seperated for an extended amount of time. My question is .... does anyone else besides Busink and Yervant use these things :) and...are they realiable. We probably will not have time to get one by this weekend but it got us to thinking about what we could use. Does anyone out there know or have any recommendations on this matter? If so please text me at 803-317-3084. Would really appriciate any reviews if you have one of these devices. If I am in the wrong forum for this question then perhaps you know of a forum that I could ask. Thanks
KLinh
Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
Fashion & Commercial
(2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Text
    shming wrote:
    I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this kind or question but, my husband and I are wondering about a two way radio system that we could use during large weddings. We have one this weekend...the day after Christmas. We will be seperated for an extended amount of time. My question is .... does anyone else besides Busink and Yervant use these things :) and...are they realiable. We probably will not have time to get one by this weekend but it got us to thinking about what we could use. Does anyone out there know or have any recommendations on this matter? If so please text me at 803-317-3084. Would really appriciate any reviews if you have one of these devices. If I am in the wrong forum for this question then perhaps you know of a forum that I could ask. Thanks

I think it would be a terrible thing to take walkie talkies as a professional. It would disrupt the event. A Text message even with the phone on vibrate could be disturbing.

As for the boards, sorry, but why would we text you an answer? The boards are to gain knowledge for all the dgrinners.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    uhm.. not sure why you are giving us your number to text you with any tips or info.

If you really work well with another, during the prep and ceremony you really don't need to communicate. You just see and react.

During the reception, if you have to communicate and don't run into each other, texting each other is probably the best choice. Not only is the reception loud that you need to have it on vibrate, others won't hear you receiving a text message.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I think it would be a terrible thing to take walkie talkies as a professional. It would disrupt the event. A Text message even with the phone on vibrate could be disturbing.

As for the boards, sorry, but why would we text you an answer? The boards are to gain knowledge for all the dgrinners.

I absolutely agree....on all counts.

...and Merry Christmas Kathy!!!
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Text ne_nau.gif

If you think you have to communicate during the wedding/ceremony?
    I have shot many weddings you two should work like a clock together to communicate through the whole wedding would be distracting and take time out of shooting!
    I agree to take walkie talkies as a professional is kinda odd and don't recommend it, but if you still need to do it you should look into something like this...Or just text !

NT3
    http://www.iasus-concepts.com/nt/nt-3.htm

But good luck happy shooting : )
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    shming wrote:
    Does anyone out there know or have any recommendations on this matter? If so please text me at 803-317-3084. Would really appriciate any reviews if you have one of these devices. If I am in the wrong forum for this question then perhaps you know of a forum that I could ask. Thanks

Don't think you'll get many responses via text messages ... ne_nau.gif

I worked with video people that had heads sets on and stayed in touch like this. I have to say it worked really well for them. Don't think I'd want to invest in something like this ... but hey, it looked useful, and if you can use it in a discrete way I'm sure nobody would feel bothered ... (better than making smoke signals, I guess ... rolleyes1.gif)
  • Options
    tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I tried the walkie talkie thing with voice activated headsets once about five years ago. The problem is that you have to talk too loud to be heard, or at least loud enough to disturb the ceremony. I have used them in events where my crew splits up and goes in different directions and talking on them will not be a distraction, but at that point just pick up your cell phone.

Coming from a video background, we always used headsets during concerts and other events when we were physically separated and could talk loud, but at weddings you just can't talk loudly. In reality, if you don't want to make a scene by talking, work on sign language or better yet just know where your second shooter will be and what they do. This is why I strongly prefer to work with the same second shooters, I know them and they know me -- verbal communication is just not necessary.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I have used them a couple of times when working with a videographer and it worked really well. I don't know if he had some nicer headsets but it was pretty slick to be able to say... I am coming down on the left, don't step on me... or whatever. It wasn't disturbing because it was all done in a hushed whisper. I have often thought it might be nice to be able to give direction to my assistants during the ceremony, but haven't wanted to pony up for quality equipment to do so. One drawback of the headseats: You can't wear earrings at the same time. Bummer, I know. rolleyes1.gif

I think walkies would be a baaad idea since there is that stupid ringer button that goes off on accident all the time. Yeah, that would be distracting and rude.
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I have a simple sign language for "in the way" videographers......but forum rules (Im sure) prevent me from sharing it here.....rolleyes1.gif

FLIPA.gif
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I do a few events which use amateur radio for communication (far more efficient than cell-phones; for arguments see discussions elsewhere), and the main thing to remember is not to use a speaker-mic. Using whispers and an ear-piece is far less intrusive…

I've even used a couple or more FRS radios (again using low voices and ear-pieces)

HTH -
    - Wil

Recommendations: Get a couple of FRS radios…

BTW welcome to the DGP Forum… thumb.gif
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,912 moderator
    edited December 24, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    I worked with video people that had heads sets on and stayed in touch like this. I have to say it worked really well for them. Don't think I'd want to invest in something like this ... but hey, it looked useful, and if you can use it in a discrete way I'm sure nobody would feel bothered ... (better than making smoke signals, I guess ... rolleyes1.gif)
    Sometimes, the headsets connect you to a director who gives you your next shot or tells you to pull/push/pan. Generally, the director is not looking for input from you lol3.gif I can see how you'd need that in that environment. Maybe an earpiece and a small PTT mic in/near your hand ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    To OP:

Here's a good starting place!

Good luck!
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • Options
    JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Great answers the head set I posted I also own 4 of them they are loud clear and you barley have to talk for them to work. Once again they are Amazing to use they also can be set for PTT use plus if you there will be No loud beep using this brand[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].

[/FONT]

NT3
    http://www.iasus-concepts.com/nt/nt-3.htm
  • Options
    GrinderGrinder Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    shming wrote:
    I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this kind or question but, my husband and I are wondering about a two way radio system

www.eartec.com

the 900 series is decent if you feel you must have communicatons, they have a very small headset that goes behind your neck so it does not look bad or bulky.

http://www.eartec.com/TD900%20Headsets/tdlwhome.html
    The Cyber or the Loop is the smaller of the two

You do need the main unit which clips on a belt
    http://www.eartec.com/HEADER%20PAGES/eartecvideograph.html

I don't think you need to shoot an entire wedding with them, but at times they might come in handy. I see photographers using them here. We use them occasionally for video.

-G
    Grinder
    Cinematographer
    www.vki-party.com

2 - 5D Mark II
    2 - 24mm-105mm f/4
    Canon 70mm-200mm f/2.8 IS L
    Tamron 28mm-300mm f/3.5 / 6.3 XR Di
    Canon 16mm-35mm f/2.8
    Custom Rig
    SteadiCam / Rails / Jibs
    available for global travel