Need Candle Light Advice

ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
edited January 7, 2010 in Technique
Tonight I will be hanging my 5DII from the rafters at my church to get a massive candle light shot. At the end of the service, they turn out all the lights and about 800 people will sing with lit candles. I will be firing the camera using a pocket wizard. I plan to set it on manual focus and I will shoot RAW. Beyond that, I need some advice if anyone has any such experience. What should be my white balance setting (or leave it on auto and fix it later)? Should I leave my ISO low since I will be shooting bulb anyway? I have no way of testing shutter time and I wont be able to look at the images until after the service so I plan to just hit my pocketwizard a bunch of times at various lengths from half a second to several seconds. Anyone have experience doing anything like this? Any advice is appreciated. Here is what the view will look like from the camera mount:

748804626_hSNLi-M.jpg

Comments

• AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    I'm wondering if I'm too late to chime in. Can you set the pocket wizard and camera up to open the shutter when you fire the pocket wizard, then close the apature when you fire the pocket wizard again? If so, you could get a couple shoots at different times.

Personally, I'd shoot in Av mode, maybe f/8 and ISO 400. Then the camera could do it. You could set up your camera to take 3 shots at different Exposure settings (can't remember what's this is called)

I am really excited to see how this will turn out. I tried to do something simular, time laps photography at a Robotics Tournament, but the venue was just WAY too dark.
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    So hear is the result. Just a quick edit so maybe I can get it better but I'm pretty happy with it. Ended up setting ISO to 1600 which is pretty darn clean on the 5DII. I wanted a fairly quick shutter speed because I knew people would be moving around a little. Set to f6.3. and bulb. Hit the pocketwizard from the side of the sanctuary for various amounts of time. This one was about a second.

749127562_99w8u-M-1.jpg
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    A wonderful shot!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 25, 2009
    Very nice!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Great shot. I'm glad this was a success.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    judging by the shot, you dont need any advice

Very Nice
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • ShamguessShamguess Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    final image
    This was the final image for the Church.
    759446697_XHPmn-L.jpg
  • NihilationNihilation Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    I like thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2010
    I really liked the feel of the first one much more. You may not have been able to identify a lot of congregants, but the feel was definitely candle-lit. The final is well done and all, but I prefer the first.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site