Flash question.

Racerx7734Racerx7734 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited December 26, 2009 in Technique
Silly question, but I'm stuck.

How do I make my on shoe mount flash actually flash fast, like as fast as my frames per second? so that I get multiple shots with flash, instead of just one?

I'm not sure Im saying it right, I want the flash to go off everytime I shoot a frame.

AND, is there a way to do it for off camera with PW's?

I have a Canon 1DmkII and a 40D

Comments

• GriffinGriffin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Well, I'm no expert with flashes, but I have played with a 580exII once. It has a multi mode that lets you fire multiple flashes for a given time period. Fun to play with, but I had a hard time coming up with real life uses beyond studio movement. With that flash you should be able to trigger it off camera too.
  • GriffinGriffin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    Griffin wrote:
    Well, I'm no expert with flashes, but I have played with a 580exII once. It has a multi mode that lets you fire multiple flashes for a given time period. Fun to play with, but I had a hard time coming up with real life uses beyond studio movement. With that flash you should be able to trigger it off camera too.

Oh wait, I just look at your post again, you just want your flash to keep it's recycle time to keep up with the camera's frame rate. All I know is to research the recycle time of different flashes. I know my 380ex can't do 3 shots a second, so I routinely get some shots without the flash.
  • AlbertZeroKAlbertZeroK Registered Users Posts: 217 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2009
    My D90 is capable of 4fps and my SB900 can keep up with it. My 50D can do 6.2fps and I'm pretty sure my 580ex II can keep up with it too, or I remember that is always has.

Now the trick with both is to put the flash into multi-mode.

Okay, here is the problem. You really need fresh batteries, and I wouldn't keep firing your flash repeatedly for more than 20 or 30 frames. Also, you will have less power comming from your flash, a trade off for your speed.

PocketWizards? Depends on which one. The only ones you would have a hope of doing this with IF YOU USE A CANON FLASH is FlexTT5 set or a FlexTT5 & MiniTT1. If you are using studio lighting and capturing at that speed, you would want a constant light source, not a flash. Some flashes might be capable of a high FPS, but you'll definately pay for it!
    Canon 50D and 2x T2i's // 2x 580ex II // FlexTT5's & MiniTT1's
    EFS 17-55 f/2.8 & 10-22 // Sigma 30mm f/1.4 & 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma Bigma OS // Canon 70-200 IS f/2.8
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    A battery pack for your flash will help keep your recycling time fast as well.
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Keep the power setting low. You can shoot pretty quickly at 1/4 power and faster at 1/8 power. An external high voltage power pack (like one of the Quantum units) can speed a full power recharge at the risk of frying your strobe if you abuse it.