Options

A "sign" of the times

Nikonic1Nikonic1 Registered Users Posts: 684 Major grins
edited December 27, 2009 in Street and Documentary
A shot of a homeless man preparing his panhandling sign. Please let me know if you think this could stand alone without the title. Also C&C on the picture itself.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited December 25, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    A shot of a homeless man preparing his panhandling sign. Please let me know if you think this could stand alone without the title. Also C&C on the picture itself.

Thanks!!

In this case, I think the title detracts. Even with the title, it doesn't much look like a sign. I prefer to imagine that he's writing a letter. I like the shot, though. The tilt works well, I think.
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:
    Please let me know if you think this could stand alone without the title.
    I think this is the opposite way to approach this question. First, I would propose a much simplier title for this image: "Man and Mailbox" or something of the sort. This sort of title would serve to identify the image nicely. Your title, unfortunately, tells me what to see in the image. How should I know that this man is homeless and penning his sign? I cannot without the description of the image provided in the title.

The image itself is nice. The composition is strong and the conversion is not bad at all. Oddly, the slight tilt actually adds a bit to the image as well in my opinion. Nicely done. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2009
    Thank you for the comments. I agree that the titling has "issues" and is really why I asked for opinions. I almost thought this could have gone untitled as it could be interpreted so many different ways.

Thanks again for the comments and Merry Christmas. bowdown.gifthumb
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    I like this photo a lot and it is a good example of letting your viewer's imagination do the work. I agree with Richard. I see him as writing a letter and wonder about the circumstances.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Nice shot thumb.gif

As for a title. I'm the type that doesn't like titles. Its gives the person looking at a photo the suggestion of what to think, how to feel, etc. about it before they even take a closer look. Sometimes I think it might even distract them from taking a look because of the title. Just my opinion tho :D

I wouldn't know this man was homeless, but do now since you told us. While we assume he is writing, addressing a letter -- do we know that? Doesn't matter, but the photo implies he's doing something that might be associated with the mailbox and letter writting. Think I'd come up with a title that is off the subject of letter writing or "sign" even tho I know what your title was suggesting :D

Outdated or Memories of the Past -- that would be my pick for a title :D

Neat photo -- and the tilt works good with this photo.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    The more I look at this photo combined with the title and take everyone's comments into account the more I agree and the more I want to delete the title :D

Thanks for the comments dogdots wings.gifthumbbowdown.gif
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Great photo! If I may ask, how did you approach the shot? Did you snap it without his knowledge or did you ask him? Reason I ask is I want to do more street/PJ and I am still a little nervous approaching folks sometimes.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    bike21 wrote:
    Great photo! If I may ask, how did you approach the shot? Did you snap it without his knowledge or did you ask him? Reason I ask is I want to do more street/PJ and I am still a little nervous approaching folks sometimes.

It really depends on the situation for me. In a candid situation (like this one was) I try to setup as inconspicuously as possible and take the photo. Posing moments like these are really difficult if not impossible IMO and really affects the authenticity of the shot.

In others however, I don't hesitate to ask a certain someone for a photo if I'm getting the sense they might be disturbed or if it won't affect a candid moment.

Here is an example of someone I actually asked for a photo. He kindly obliged after I deposited $0.35 :D:D:D I wanted to make it quick and lost the bottom of his sign but don't think it detracts too much...

4142427272_66733aef16.jpg

So, to sum it up, I think it really depends on the situation/person in question. Knowing when to apply each tactic only comes with experience and being around people and different situations. Street photography has proven really satisfying for me as it's a window into this world we live in. It's also an incredible way to remember the places you've been and the people you remember when you think of those places.

:ivar
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    Nikonic1 wrote:

Thanks!!

Wonderful image - utterly meaningless title. Why does it need a title? "Man and mailbox?" - why? Is the viewer blind? I guess if you're preparing an exhibition and want the "vision impaired" to be able to see it you should prepare a braille title reading - "Man in hoodie and jacket leaning against street mail deposit box writing on something on the top of the box - perhaps he's homeless and unemployed, or perhaps he's a billionaire hedgefund manager in his old clothes who ran down to the mailbox to drop something in it - you decide."
    rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2009
    bike21 wrote:

If you want to capture reality, don't ask the person, don't approach the person, don't engage - just shoot. If you want to make a portrait of someone, and want to engage with them, that's fine - but as soon as they are aware of you, the dynamic is irrevocably altered.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    I agree it doesn't "need" a title and in fact struggle when posting here sometimes to decide how to title my thread. I don't think this one particularly needs a title at all. I do think it's an image that speaks for itself (or hope so anyway).
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Wonderful image

Thank you bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    If you want to capture reality, don't ask the person, don't approach the person, don't engage - just shoot. If you want to make a portrait of someone, and want to engage with them, that's fine - but as soon as they are aware of you, the dynamic is irrevocably altered.

15524779-Ti.gifagree15524779-Ti.gifagree

Well, BD said what I meant in about 3,000 less characters headscratch.gifrolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif